Author Topic: Server move complete, site updates in progress  (Read 15405 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Server move complete, site updates in progress
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 09:18:55 am »

haha I just found it recently after searching some older threads
lol no worries Bekkler :twisted:

So evil!  :D

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
There's a login link for the wiki in the upper right corner of every Encyclopedia page. You now have access, so go ahead and start fixing things. You can make notes of what you've done for each page on the page's Discussion/Talk page (linked at the bottom above the footer of each Encyclopedia page).

The Discussion links are old phpBB links. You'll have to track down the relevant SMF forum threads in order to fix them.

I am able to edit, however, I cannot directly edit tables with "hide/show" content. I was able to take out the duplicate table in the CC Resolutions, but I have no control over the placement of said table. I was going to link the "special thanks" section at the end with the ToC.

EDIT: I also cannot find the original thread if anyone ever wanted to "discuss" this on the forum.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2358.msg43458#msg43458
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2356.msg43428#msg43428
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2357.msg43429#msg43429

Maybe we could use the third link?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:59:36 pm by Magus22 »

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »
There's a login link for the wiki in the upper right corner of every Encyclopedia page. You now have access, so go ahead and start fixing things. You can make notes of what you've done for each page on the page's Discussion/Talk page (linked at the bottom above the footer of each Encyclopedia page).

The Discussion links are old phpBB links. You'll have to track down the relevant SMF forum threads in order to fix them.

I am able to edit, however, I cannot directly edit tables with "hide/show" content. I was able to take out the duplicate table in the CC Resolutions, but I have no control over the placement of said table. I was going to link the "special thanks" section at the end with the ToC.

EDIT: I also cannot find the original thread if anyone ever wanted to "discuss" this on the forum.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2358.msg43458#msg43458
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2356.msg43428#msg43428
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2357.msg43429#msg43429

Maybe we could use the third link?

Those tables are auto-generated, just like on wikipedia. They're the Table of Contents for each page based on the sections delineated in the Wiki markup.

As far as to which link you use, pick one or make a new thread and leave a note in that page's Talk page explaining that it's been changed.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think the old phpBB thread numbers directly correspond to the same thread numbers on the SMF system. The linked thread was probably the second one in your list. (It doesn't make much a difference, but I kind of prefer linking to the thread directly rather than one of its messages.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:06:16 pm by Vehek »

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »
Those tables are auto-generated, just like on wikipedia. They're the Table of Contents for each page based on the sections delineated in the Wiki markup.

As far as to which link you use, pick one or make a new thread and leave a note in that page's Talk page explaining that it's been changed.

Thanks Ramsus. I am learning as I go, and I want to be careful with exactly what I edit. This is all new territory, but everything looks to be good so far.

I think we should go with Vehek's suggestion with the second link.
If not, we can definitely discuss here or somewhere else.

I do have a couple additional questions...

Was the format and changes I did acceptable?
Or rather, is this what everyone would want to see in other pages?
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Cross_Resolutions.html
If so, I can make these "clean-up" edits on every page.
I just want the go-ahead before I start going editing in other areas.

Lastly, I have an image for the FFXIII CT reference, but there is a better quality image on the official FF Wikia page for the Fiendlord's Keep - can I just grab this image and post it here or should I ask permission from the contributor over there? Fair Use applies so we can't get into any trouble.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 05:26:54 am »

Thanks Ramsus. I am learning as I go, and I want to be careful with exactly what I edit. This is all new territory, but everything looks to be good so far.

I think we should go with Vehek's suggestion with the second link.
If not, we can definitely discuss here or somewhere else.

I do have a couple additional questions...

Was the format and changes I did acceptable?
Or rather, is this what everyone would want to see in other pages?
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Cross_Resolutions.html
If so, I can make these "clean-up" edits on every page.
I just want the go-ahead before I start going editing in other areas.

Lastly, I have an image for the FFXIII CT reference, but there is a better quality image on the official FF Wikia page for the Fiendlord's Keep - can I just grab this image and post it here or should I ask permission from the contributor over there? Fair Use applies so we can't get into any trouble.

After reviewing your work, I'm going to give my go-ahead on the cleanup project for the pages. Good luck.

Also, you should ask permission from the contributor to the other website before using those images. We've actually invested a lot of time in obtaining and scanning resources ourselves, especially Zeality, or seeking contributors. Granted, it was mostly out of an old school respect between fan site authors, but we also believe it's the right thing to do, regardless of fair use or copyright law. The only exceptions have been with materials we've archived due to the original sites being lost or intentionally removed from the community.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:40 am »
^That ugly thing still exists? Ugh. I will never understand the desire some have to fill this site with copy after copy of that old pixellated image that was never funny to begin with and has nothing to do with the site or the topic. I seriously hate that thing and lose a little more respect for whoever posts it every time I see it.  </rant>

Thanks for the help, Ramses. I see the display:none now that I'm on a pc and can properly investigate. Very nice. Btw if you're considering offering themes for users to choose from, I might be interested in creating one. It would be all css, right?

Actually, how would you like to take the reins on the redesign of the site's layout? That frees me to work on other aspects of the site.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:27 pm »
Looks like the fanart page is missing?

(oooooor i'm blind/oblivious quite possible)

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Fanart.html

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 05:53:56 pm »
It was always here: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Fan_Art.html with an underscore.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »
Ahh! Thanks

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »
After reviewing your work, I'm going to give my go-ahead on the cleanup project for the pages. Good luck.

Also, you should ask permission from the contributor to the other website before using those images. We've actually invested a lot of time in obtaining and scanning resources ourselves, especially Zeality, or seeking contributors. Granted, it was mostly out of an old school respect between fan site authors, but we also believe it's the right thing to do, regardless of fair use or copyright law. The only exceptions have been with materials we've archived due to the original sites being lost or intentionally removed from the community.

Rockin'!

I will start with the Articles section and move on from there.

In regards to the contributor, I don't see a contact/e-mail link anywhere for the user. I think I may have to sign up for that wiki to gain access to the individuals contact information.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/User:FFfangirl

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 06:43:35 pm »

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 03:28:47 pm »

Rockin'!

I will start with the Articles section and move on from there.

In regards to the contributor, I don't see a contact/e-mail link anywhere for the user. I think I may have to sign up for that wiki to gain access to the individuals contact information.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/User:FFfangirl

Whenever you finish a large batch of changes, do you mind submitting a news post summarizing the updates along with a description of what you plan on changing next? It'll help pique community interest and involvement.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »
Will do Ramsus!  :D

EDIT: The user FFfangirl gave me the okay to use the two images she uploaded. I will make sure to give her credit for the help. There is another good image I might want to use, but a different user uploaded it - so we'll see how things go.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:52:30 pm by Magus22 »

ggy128

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 10:17:15 am »
is this the final version of  Chrono Compendium?