Author Topic: Server move complete, site updates in progress  (Read 15404 times)

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Server move complete, site updates in progress
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:19:04 am »
The server move has been completed and the backend systems of the site (the forums and wiki) have been fully updated. The rest of the site is being reworked into a modern framework and will be running in a stripped down mode for at least a few weeks.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Re: Server move complete, site updates in progress
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:37 am »
Is there anything us Compendiumites can do to help/assist?

Or is it just a matter of sitting back and riding the wind as Johnny drives to the next Lab

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »
Scour the site for broken links and site content, and report back here if you find something. You can also volunteer to join the Wiki Editors group if you're bold enough to try your hand at maintaining the Encyclopedia.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:21:07 am »
Hmm, is there now (or will there be) an equivalent of the "Unread Posts" link or is that gone for good? That was the most helpful navigation tool on the old layout for me, and the one thing I miss the most so far.

It is very nice to have a responsive layout, makes reading on the phone much better.

jessen22

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:14 pm »
This might be useful for signed-in users: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

It shows neither ALL posts nor just UNREAD, and there is no filtering criteria, but it is something.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:49:01 pm by jessen22 »

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:47 pm »
Hmm, is there now (or will there be) an equivalent of the "Unread Posts" link or is that gone for good? That was the most helpful navigation tool on the old layout for me, and the one thing I miss the most so far.

It is very nice to have a responsive layout, makes reading on the phone much better.

It's there, but it's hidden. I'll bring it back when I make the Forums fully responsive.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »
It's kinda cool, and amusing, heh.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 03:00:16 pm »
Hahaha!!! I remember that! I can't remember if I was a lurker or had registered by that time...

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 03:50:27 am »
Scour the site for broken links and site content, and report back here if you find something. You can also volunteer to join the Wiki Editors group if you're bold enough to try your hand at maintaining the Encyclopedia.

ha I actually used to be apart of this long ago.

I can definitely check things out.

The dream will never die!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 02:09:43 pm »
^That ugly thing still exists? Ugh. I will never understand the desire some have to fill this site with copy after copy of that old pixellated image that was never funny to begin with and has nothing to do with the site or the topic. I seriously hate that thing and lose a little more respect for whoever posts it every time I see it.  </rant>

Thanks for the help, Ramses. I see the display:none now that I'm on a pc and can properly investigate. Very nice. Btw if you're considering offering themes for users to choose from, I might be interested in creating one. It would be all css, right?

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 03:31:59 pm »
^That ugly thing still exists? Ugh. I will never understand the desire some have to fill this site with copy after copy of that old pixellated image that was never funny to begin with and has nothing to do with the site or the topic. I seriously hate that thing and lose a little more respect for whoever posts it every time I see it.  </rant>

haha I just found it recently after searching some older threads
lol no worries Bekkler :twisted:

@Ramsus:
I found a couple things of interest in the Articles section...

I found numerous articles to have some discrepancies; the Chrono Cross Resolutions and Salt for the Dead Sea (for example) have duplicated tables and broken links at the very bottom of the article(s) to discuss the topic on the forum. When you click on them, I am directed to a page with "File Not Found" at the upper left-hand corner. Additionally, there are several grammatical errors.

Also, in the Game Index section, there was just something minor on the front page. At the very bottom, the reference to the Fiendlord in Final Fantasy XIII is not a theme park, but rather an attraction/ride in the theme park Nautilus.

Something else I found, which may be intentional, are deleted pages.
Examples here as red text > http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Trigger.html

I would be happy to fix these if you'd like.
I'll also let you know if I find anything else that

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:25 pm »
This is what I get for not checking on here for two weeks. Everything changed lol!

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 08:29:05 pm »

haha I just found it recently after searching some older threads
lol no worries Bekkler :twisted:

@Ramsus:
I found a couple things of interest in the Articles section...

I found numerous articles to have some discrepancies; the Chrono Cross Resolutions and Salt for the Dead Sea (for example) have duplicated tables and broken links at the very bottom of the article(s) to discuss the topic on the forum. When you click on them, I am directed to a page with "File Not Found" at the upper left-hand corner. Additionally, there are several grammatical errors.

Also, in the Game Index section, there was just something minor on the front page. At the very bottom, the reference to the Fiendlord in Final Fantasy XIII is not a theme park, but rather an attraction/ride in the theme park Nautilus.

Something else I found, which may be intentional, are deleted pages.
Examples here as red text > http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Trigger.html

I would be happy to fix these if you'd like.
I'll also let you know if I find anything else that

There's a login link for the wiki in the upper right corner of every Encyclopedia page. You now have access, so go ahead and start fixing things. You can make notes of what you've done for each page on the page's Discussion/Talk page (linked at the bottom above the footer of each Encyclopedia page).

The Discussion links are old phpBB links. You'll have to track down the relevant SMF forum threads in order to fix them.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 08:32:52 pm »

Thanks for the help, Ramses. I see the display:none now that I'm on a pc and can properly investigate. Very nice. Btw if you're considering offering themes for users to choose from, I might be interested in creating one. It would be all css, right?

I wasn't planning to put user selectable themes on the table anytime soon, but you're more than welcome to publish any Compendium themes you make on userstyles: http://userstyles.org/