Author Topic: Christmas 2013 Update!  (Read 5562 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Christmas 2013 Update!
« on: December 25, 2013, 11:40:11 pm »
Welcome to the Christmas update! There's still some stuff to be added (such as the Prerelease unpointed line translations by RyougaMasaki), but this update's going to have to be broken out piecemeal over the next couple weeks as I get spurts of free time. For now, let's kick things off:

[CHRONO]  Chrono'99 dug up a 2006 interview with Koichi Ishii and Hiromichi Tanaka in which they allude to Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV as being connected with ideas for the Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana franchise. Check it out here! (Somehow this was missed before and didn't get moved into the news section; sorry.)  [2]  We hadn't announced it yet, but inichi did another TAS for Chrono Trigger, utilizing mid-frame resets to trigger the ending after a short 3 minutes and 28 seconds. Check it out here! In the land of no glitches, Kari "Essentia" Johnson recently broke the 100% completion barrier with a normal speedrun, clocking in at 5 hours 40 minutes; check it out here.  [3]  wizzy0807 has helped us identify a promotional package sold in Japan containing both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross around the release date of the latter. I'll yield the floor: "This was sold online by auction a few years back: http://akiba-market.com/catalog/product/view/id/27716/. You can view a different photo there. It is described as: "This is a special promotional set with both games.The ''NOT FOR SALE'' mention is on the box." A blog entry described Chrono Memorial as a promotion gift for a "DigiCube" pre-order? (http://geocities.yahoo.co.jp/gl/mogu_573/view/200602). Perhaps this box only available to wholesalers of DigiCube-distributed Square products? The items themselves look like partially repackaged products. The UPC on Chrono Trigger, if my eyes are sharp enough, is 4961012997060, which is identical to the original Japanese PS release. Likewise, I get 4961012997077 for Chrono Cross, also identical to the original release. Seems like the discs were newly pressed and designed as vols. 1 and 2 of the box set, but the jewel cases, manuals, and jewel case "spine slips" look like reproductions of original PS releases." A page has been set up here.

[COMMUNITY]  We're not affiliated with this site, but we can't help but shamelessly plug Triple Tech, where a few survivors have gathered Chrono series ROM hacking information. The site states that no projects will be carried out or supported, and it looks like they've got most of the old material up there. I wish them well.  [3]  ShogunSlug has pointed out that the SS Zelbess theme from Chrono Cross was apparently built off a sample, as it recently popped up in Bizarre Foods! See the Youtube video here. Pretty interesting that it was a lead. Mitsuda's used some other well known samples, such as the percussion in the Chronopolis track; a relevant VGMdb thread is here.  [4]  Speaking of merchandise, I'm personally on the hunt for a Chrono Cross Chronopolis Seiko Watch. If you have one or know someone willing to part with one for the right price, send a private message on the forums.

[ANALYSIS]  Created: This Missing Piece sketch, showing the Frozen Flame in the Dead Sea (thanks Kodokami)  ][  Updated: Real World Influences (Serge & Sonja), Lavos (Power of) (new attempt to quantify by Berf), Marle Paradox (two exciting new theories), Prerelease Translation Differences (End of Time Party lines)

[FAN ART]  First up is Crono in a Nutshell by Manly Man!  [FANFICTION]  The Legendary Biologist checks in again with Responsibility, a Chrono Cross drabble.  [DREAM SPLASH]  The 2012/2013 Dream Splash has concluded with Manly Man's Bondage, Boots, and Bulges. Check out all the submissions here!  [REMIXES AND DOUJINS]  [ '600th 600 A.D.' by Juja ][ 'Corridors of Time 8.3' by TheReverend ][ Delldongo - Square Enix Piano Album ][ 'Devotio Aeternus' by Darangen ][ Dj CUTMAN - GAMECHOPS Volume 2 ][ Dragonbard - Harping on Video Games ][ 'Eye of the Trigger' by Hope Fails ][ FMPSG - FMPSG020 -DECADE- Decade of Chiptune 2003 ][ NES BAND, Colonyotoshi - Nekketsu Dai Ongaku Sai ~Friendship for Gamemusic~ ][ 'Let's Just Get Out of this Stupid Sewer Already' by Dennis ][ 'Peaceful Days' by Necrox ][ Random Encounter - LET ME TELL YOU A STORY ][ 'Summer in the Little Town' by Hakstok ][ 'Sunrise' by Hakston ][ Super Guitar Bros. - Super Guitar Bros. ][ 'The Day Gato Revived v6' by DJ H3L10S ][ 'The Day the World Revived Orchestral WIP' by ellywu2 ][ The X-Hunters - MANKINDS ARROGANCE ]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:44:03 pm by ZeaLitY »