Author Topic: SE plan for Chrono Trigger's 20th annivesary  (Read 2944 times)

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
SE plan for Chrono Trigger's 20th annivesary
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:33:51 pm »
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/18/dissidia-theatrhythm-designed-introduce-final-fantasy-new-generation-fans/#ryZpvWeFBZDywldg.99

I would posted this on Chrono news, but I'm not that much of a writer, so perhaps we might get a Cross generation Final Fantasy/ Chrono Trigger Dissidia type of game?

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
Re: SE plan for Chrono Trigger's 20th annivesary
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:08:38 pm »
I'm not sure if I understand what a "dot-art" game is...

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:28:10 pm »
By "dot-art" game I'm going to assume he means old-school, sprite-based RPG. Since it will be an anniversary thing, I can't reasonably expect (but I can hope for!) a brand spanking new Chrono title. Maybe a Theatrhythm game or one like Final Fantasy Dimensions. In any case, Chrono Trigger is getting noticed!

I'm still waiting for a FF Type-0 release...

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »
Interesting... it's probably too much to ask for a proper revival as a result of this... but one can dream...

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »
At this point I guess something is better than nothing...

Though a full Theatrerythm game based on ChronoTrigger/Cross would be really awesome.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:19:00 am »
It's nice having hope again, albeit very slim hope.

Berf

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:42:55 pm »
Trigger was released in March 11 in Japan, so given that there was no further announcement I imagine whatever plans they had never materialized.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 02:58:23 am »
There won't be any notable event for the 20th anniversary of Chrono, if it's even mentioned at all.  Right now it's all hands on deck for Final Fantasy XV, which I expect to release sometime next year.  If that game is received poorly, it would be a mortal blow to Square/Enix as a major development studio.  They can't afford any more missteps after Lightning's swan song.  As it is, I'm not sure the former Versus XIII can ever sell enough copies to make up for its development costs.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:51:39 pm »
They can't afford any more missteps after Lightning's swan song.

meh... the disgruntled fans who disliked the XIII games are a bunch of nostalgia critics who only want the same repetitive formula based on their "glory days" from the 90s - I found the games to be very entertaining and the stories to be the most unique (to date) in the franchises history. The stories are fresh in-depth adventures, have a detailed mythology, and are full of plot twists. The games reminded me of Chrono several times. But I have never had a major complaint about any FF game... they have always delivered on a new story and high entertainment value. I don't have the time nor patience to criticize the hell out of a game because it's "not like how the other games were..."

I actually just received FFX|X-2 HD Remaster - and I can't wait to play it
It was one of my favorites, yet there is not a single "notable" complaint about how severely linear the game (still) is in this remaster. It depends on the "type of fan" and the types of games they have been exposed to in their lifetime.

Anyways... regarding Chrono Trigger's 20th Anniversary - there are rumors flying all over the place that a sequel is possible, how SE wants to reassemble the Dream Team, and that it may be a sprite-based game like the original or something as graphically impressive as FFXIII / FFXV using the new Luminous Engine.

I think we will be in for a treat, and we know for sure "something" is going to be done for Chrono and it will be in the spotlight once again. That's more than we could ask for after our unfortunate attempts at trying to make a difference by preserving the Chrono name.

It's something to look forward to :D

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 01:57:17 am »
Heh, a "The journey was a hard and long one, but the end made it totally worth it" type of situation? That would be great...

Dyxo Xinoro

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:16 pm »
I hope it ends up like that, but you can never tell with Square Enix

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 02:54:10 pm »
I thought this was newsworthy, but since a 20th Anniversary topic is up, I decided to throw it in here. It's just a little something about CT's 20th Anniversary during a "Final Fantasy Go There" interview with:

Yoshinori Kitase (FFX|X-2 HD)
Motomu Toriyama (LR:FFXIII)
Naoki Yoshida (FFXIV:ARR)
Ichirou Hazama (Theatrhythm)

This was beautifully translated by Square Portal:

http://squareportal.net/2014/03/06/final-fantasy-go-there-special-interview-report-lightning-returns-dissidia-sequel-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-xiv-chrono-trigger-more/

This is the original Japanese:

http://special.member.jp.square-enix.com/ff_go_there/interview/