Author Topic: The long night is upon us  (Read 4205 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: The long night is upon us
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 11:06:31 pm »
Not to derail, but I rather think they'd drop what they were doing and shape the future with their own hands, no matter who or what got in their way...
And doing that would put us at odds with the series creators.

Not only would they create new things, but also change what was already there to get to the end of their goals. ("This future sucks, lets change the natural order of things.")

Funny that you should put things that way.  That is, in a fashion, what I'm trying to do myself.  What the endgame of that will be, I have no idea.  It's not yet the time to start talking about breaking through the opposition.  A lot can happen in a few years time.  A fight might not even be necessary, you never know.

On the movie idea, the only thing I realistically envision is a CG animated film along the lines of Tin Tin - which was produced by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson.  Although Toriyama did the original artwork for Chrono Trigger, I don't think an anime-style picture is the way to go because that would immediately limit interest in the film to those who like anime already.  Purists would rejoice.  Everyone else would say, "So what?".  Live action would be an exceptionally difficult format to use because of Glenn, Robo, and possibly even Ayla having to be done in CG while everyone else is interacting with ghosts in front of green-screen.  There is also the difficulty of finding actors young enough to portray Crono, Marle, and Lucca and who are also experienced enough to do the emotional heavy lifting expected of those characters.  I don't see that happening.  With voice actors all around, a casting director has a lot more options.

And on the question of big names, the trick is not to go asking for them, but for them to come asking for you.  "If you build it, they will come."

Dyxo Xinoro

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »
Personally I don't think live action would be as difficult to implement as you make it out to be. The Lord of the Rings movies, most of which being rather old, did wonderfully working with Golum's character and he was done through CG.

Why? Motion capture. While everyone else would be acting as their character motion capture artist would be with them on stage acting as Glenn and/or Robo, which means they'd get all the motions and the experience, but the CG would create the physical character himself. Course this causes a couple more problems with Robo than Glenn anatomically, but people get payed to figure that stuff out anyways.

Though that's not to say live action would be the ideal format, as we'd still run into the problem of finding the right actors for the 1000 AD kids.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »
Systems outlive people. If I could do any one thing, it would be to somehow get a plot outline from Kato (or create a mature one with community support), incorporating a mature vision of Chrono Break that's miles better and more mature and thematically impacting than Crimson Echoes, and then create a project system that would allow it—even if it took 15 years—to accumulate contributions and work until a finished game would be made.

Problems are obvious. The system would have to be public to attract contributors. Instant C&D. Plus, to make it truly memorable, it'd need to be done in an actual good engine, above and beyond the usual rehash of CT's assets in a ROM hack or BoF 1-esque graphics found in most 16-bit game makers. Making a game in a better engine would exponentially increase the work required, and the engine would become outdated during the long development cycle.

It just cannot happen without a lot of money and a corps of dedicated workers under a vow of silence (so really, a game studio willing to break copyright law for no financial gain). I'd rather spend my time destroying the patriarchy.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 12:23:13 am »
Part of the realization of what you're proposing zeal could potentially be realized via a kickstarter project, but the resulting product would only be inspired by or a sort of spirit-carrier into a new IP like Mighty No 9.

Berf

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 05:40:13 pm »
Well, there's always the possibility of waiting a couple of decades until the Chrono series becomes public domain. ;)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 12:41:47 pm »
Wouldn't that still take way too long? I don't think any of us would be in a position to do anything about it when it happens, being too old at best or too dead at worst.

Or at least, from what little I know of copyright laws, though unsure if it's the same for video games, is that it's X years after the death of the creator. And even then, it's not like it has stopped people from extending the limit, like how Disney did with Mickey Mouse, who by all rights should have already gone to the public domain already.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 02:39:41 am »
Well, there's always the possibility of waiting a couple of decades until the Chrono series becomes public domain. ;)

Only if Square/Enix ceases to be a company by that point, and there is no other entity that can claim ownership over the franchise.  This is not likely to happen, as Square/Enix would surely try to sell the rights to the franchise if they got into existential trouble.  In an age of corporate ownership, public domain laws mean absolutely nothing.  So long as someone is willing to own the rights through a lawful purchase from and with the consent of the original creator, I don't see how public domain can ever be invoked.

Besides, you're looking at a lot more than a couple of decades for public domain to kick in, if I remember correctly.