Author Topic: Masato Kato Chrono Cross Liner Notes Translated!  (Read 2508 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Masato Kato Chrono Cross Liner Notes Translated!
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
Cal Hampton has once again splendidly delivered a translation of the master's words! This time, it's Kato's write-up from the Chrono Cross liner notes, offering insight to his mentality in developing Chrono Cross and his emotional state working on the game. There's a bit about Radical Dreamers in there as well. I'm going to duly get the development notes added to Wikipedia; in the meantime, enjoy this new glimpse into Chrono history by clicking here! (Ryo Yamazaki's portion was previously translated.) This is a huge occasion, as it officially marks the translation of the last uninterpreted Masato Kato interview we're aware of! Huge thanks to Cal and everyone who's helped us over the years. There's a lot of material to go (including developer interviews), but damn, does it feel good knocking those out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:15:05 pm by ZeaLitY »

MintMint

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Masato Kato Chrono Cross Liner Notes Translated!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:29:38 pm »
That "Chrono Cross Liner Notes" youtube link seems to link to a rather weird video from the 2nd Tiny Toons game on the NES. Which is odd.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:01:16 pm »
Whoo, thanks Cal Hampton!

Can't believe that Radical Dreamers is only half-finished. It seems pretty polished. I wonder what Kato had in mind for it.

That "Chrono Cross Liner Notes" youtube link seems to link to a rather weird video from the 2nd Tiny Toons game on the NES. Which is odd.
It's not the first time. :lol:

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:18:18 am »
It seems pretty polished.
I don't know for sure which part (writing, atmosphere, etc.) you consider polished, but take into account that we mostly only really know Radical Dreamers through the fan-translation. Besides differing writing style I guess, Demiforce did take some liberties with the translation.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:28:03 am »
True, we do only know Radical Dreamers through Demiforce's translation, mostly. I guess by "polished" I meant complete. The story feels complete to me, even if the ending is a bit open-ended. But I can live with a few unanswered questions.

Original point being, if Kato had enough time to write half a dozen extra scenarios, I can't imagine what else he had in mind for it. It's interesting to think about.