Author Topic: Berathen Spirit Detective  (Read 1663 times)

Venks

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Berathen
Berathen Spirit Detective
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:59 pm »
Not exactly a fan project, but I'm making my own game which is heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger.

I started playing games on the classic Nintendo and have played games on almost every console since. My life has been full of amazing single player RPGs(Chrono Trigger, Earthbound) and competitive fighters(Street Fighter, Dissidia). Games having such a huge impact on my life I think it only makes a little sense that I'm trying my hand at game making.

I'd like to tell you guys about the demo for my game Berathen Spirit Detective which is heavily inspired by Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. The demo is a browser game to raise awareness of my project and help gather ideas!

My game is a murder mystery simulation where you play the part of a detective looking into a murder. You will also be faced with somewhat uncooperative and sometimes silly witnesses. It's up to you to search for clues and find out the truth.
The gameplay involves a lot of character interaction, doing quests for villagers, and several mini-games. Though the main focus is solving mysteries the game borrows a lot of its elements from RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VIII.

You can find the demo on my website which is in my signature! I'd really like some feedback if you guys have the time! For those of you viewing this post on your 3DS's browser who cant play flash games perhaps ya'll could just give me some insight on what you'd like to see in a Detective game?

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Berathen Spirit Detective
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:10:12 am »
...my game Berathen Spirit Detective which is heavily inspired by Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.
Honestly, the first thing that came to mind when hearing that name was Yu Yu Hakusho. There, the protagonist is actually a spirit detective at the beginning. XD

And when you said murder mystery, rather than demon-battles, I immediately thought of the first episode of Torchwood.

It sounds so fascinating in my head, I'd love to try your game!

I guess my only bias here is Flash games. I like Flash games, but I'm no fan of the technology (for obvious reasons). No plan on having HTML5 support, or equivalent?

EDIT: I played a bit with your game (it's a shame I can't save anything...) and I must say... your writing got me hooked! XD

Did... did the chef just call Apples a biological weapon?! Hahahahaha!

Also, the game could really use a button for running, and speeding up messages.

Apples: "Thanks, Rick! I wish I could give you something in return for the apples. Oh, I know! You can have this torn piece of paper I found on the floor."

LMFAO

EDIT Again: I just realized; you could explore more on his "Exorcist's Word is Law", considering a human mind is extremely fallible. This could have its pros and cons, and hence developed into an interesting plot device!

Oh, and I caught your... kinda obvious Final Fantasy reference.  :wink:

EDIT yet again: Played the demo. Loved the demo!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:49:45 am by tushantin »

Venks

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Berathen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:04:46 pm »
Thank you so much for playing the game! And yeah I really like the name Spirit Detective as it fits with what I'm going for. It's a shame Yu Yu Hakusho beat me to it years ago. :P But yeah it's an older anime and not too many people confuse my game with it. You're the first person to bring up Yu Yu Hakusho. More people bring up the game 'Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective' which I've unfortunately never played.

Also cool to hear your a Torchwood fan. You definitely have a lot of good tastes when it comes to your entertainment media. As for the game being Flash well it's a lot easier to make games in Flash and a lot more people can play my game that way. HTML5 is definitely something I'm keeping a close eye on, but at the moment I feel it has more cons then pros. But with time HTML5 will eventually replace Flash and as a browser game developer you best to believe I'll be moving on as well.

Again thank you so much for playing the demo! I'm really glad you liked my writing. I tend to do things on the silly side so I'm glad you were able to enjoy that. It's a shame the game felt so slow to you. This is the third version of my demo and the character and text speed are much faster then they were in the previous version. @@

Edit: Yikes. I just played it myself. It runs a lot faster just in Flash Player. Perhaps I should move on to HTML5 after all for the sake of performance. xD

Venks

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Berathen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:14:13 pm »
Not a lot of games use this, but I wanted to make my Detective Game have times where you're asked for specific information and you have to actually write in your answer rather than choosing from a few choices.

Could really use some feedback. What do you guys think of this UI?