Author Topic: Crimson Echoes Weapon Names  (Read 6266 times)

Daniel Krispin

Crimson Echoes Weapon Names
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2005, 11:06:59 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
That could totally work.  And honestly, I didn't like most of the suggestions I made.  Question though: how can ForceField not be too modern when KevlarVest is?

Bonemold isn't just from Morrowind.  It's been used in RPGs way before The Elder Scrolls came along.

I suppose one could get the scales of Lavos Spawns being experimented on by King Zeal.

Kevlar sounds our-world modern, for it is a lattice-work composite, whereas ForeField is generically futuristic. Using Kevlar is like using CokaCola in a game, actually.

As far as Bonemold goes... I figured as much, but just went with what I knew. The same comment applies, though.

Here, now. Three more pictures. Firstly, Clarent. My apologies, it ended up looking a tad like Glamdring from Lord of the Rings. Notice my attempt to make the blade-steel appear as though it were Damascus steel?

Secondly, Geistrand. What do you think of the smokey things enwound about it?

And lastly, the FreeRadcl. My apologies, this one time I decided to break my common form of more simplistic and practical design, and added a measure of useless ornamentry all about it. But I hope it is for the best. It's probably not apparent, actually, but the blue on it was specifically chosen to connect with the sea, even as the Radical Dreamers are, according to Cross, those who came from the sea onto land.

Now, lastly, as some armour ideas... should we delve into Greek mythology as we have done a little before? I know it is a common thing to be done in RPGs, but only on a superficial level. For example, I think there are a fair number of RPGs that use the name 'Hades' for things, ie. Hades' Helm or the like. But what if we were to call a helm Aidoneus? That is yet another name for Hades that is more shrouded in obscurity. I only know it from the Iliad (where Pandauros bitterly complains to Aineias, on seeing that Diomedes advance is not stemmed, in spite of a sharp arrow to the shoulder, that he thought he had already sent this man down to see Aidoneus.) This could give evasion, as Hades' helm, forged for him by the Cyclopses (or maybe it was the Hundred-Handed, I forget... no, it was almost certainly the Cyclopses) rendered him invisible.

I'm not sure at the moment what others could be used, but there are many that, using a more accurate version of certain names, could be given new life in the RPG realm. Say, for example, for an item (a shield item) could be Aias'Shield - Aias being the actual spelling of Ajax. Another good one might be Pallas. Pallas is a common word used with Athene. In some stories she holds this title after she defeated the Titan Pallas and, flaying him, wears his skin as a cloak, which gives her her manlike strength in battle. According to the Lexicon, it might be 'brandisher', or even related to the word for an unmarried girl (or, at least one word for that, as I know for a fact that another is parthenos.) This could be a form of armour for Lucca. At the moment I cannot think of any other Greek names that are different enough, and meaningful enough, to provide names. Achilles is Akhilleus, but it still seems too near. Menelaos is not much different than Menelaus. Alexandros is far different than Paris, although that is probably useless in this context. One last one. I'm sure at one time or another every RPG player has come upon the use of the term 'aegis' for a shield. Well, why not use a variant of it for body armour? It isn't ever made clear which it is and, indeed, it seems more like a breastplate in many regards. If it is spelled in the real way, that is Aigis, it might be a little better. Or, perhaps, Aigiokhos, Aigis-Carrying (apparently a epithet of Zeus.)

So, essentially, I recommend:
Aidoneus, a helm which adds evasion.
Aias Shield, an accessory which increases physical defence.
Pallas, a form of armour wearable by Lucca (or perhaps just any of the women.)
Aigis, a for more armour for the women, perhaps an improvement on Pallas.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2005, 11:26:41 pm »
That's a sound idea; different spellings and translations should offer a new and original layer. Shall we make a topic for the armor? And should we finalize the idea of having

Beginning of game \/

Unique armor strewn about and sold in shops

Middle of game \/

The Melchior brand armor for each character, upgraded three times

End of game \/

Unique armor forged, strewn about, obtained by legend, etc. again

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2005, 11:31:50 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
That's a sound idea; different spellings and translations should offer a new and original layer. Shall we make a topic for the armor? And should we finalize the idea of having

Beginning of game \/

Unique armor strewn about and sold in shops

Middle of game \/

The Melchior brand armor for each character, upgraded three times

End of game \/

Unique armor forged, strewn about, obtained by legend, etc. again

Sounds good. It adds multiple layers to the armour system. Yes, I think there should be a new topic. I'll make one soon.

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2005, 07:52:38 pm »
Regarding Schala's pendant weapons.  If we have a Sun Charm, why not a Moon Charm?  They could both be made of Moonstone/Sunstone, with one being the powered-up version of the other.  I also wanted to toss out "Orichalcum" as a possible.  Orichalcum was the legendary metal (sometimes compared to copper) which existed at Atlantis.  Since Zeal is basically Zenan's Atlantis, it seems an appropriate thing for Schala to have access to.  "Denadorite" might be another good lower-level item.  (After all, we have tons of awesome mythological references in our equipment names, but only a handful of actual Crono/Zenan ones thus far.)

Along those lines, I have no idea where this would fit, but I think "MadHeckran" (a term used by Poshul) would be a good name for a piece of equipment.

OdF

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2005, 08:57:00 pm »
MadHeckran sounds like something with MAD physical defense but lowers your magical defense...

And actually when I suggested the Sun Charm, that is what I was thinking of...Sunstone. :)

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2005, 10:11:27 pm »
Quote from: Jake-A-Roonie
And actually when I suggested the Sun Charm, that is what I was thinking of...Sunstone. :)

Well, great/warped minds think alike.

OdF

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2005, 11:13:55 pm »
If playable Schala is realized, then I have a method for her pendant being able to grow and whatnot. Already its a bit of a problem to give her more than just the Dreamstone pendant, since it was sculpted by Zeal, she does start with it, and it is immensely powerful and important. This is my idea:

The Masamune is composed of Melchior's dreams, probably conducted by Dreamstone. Similarly, the pendant can also conduct these sort of eidolons, just as it can be charged with Lavos energy. Whenever the team reach an area for the first time, or after a few events, Schala will at one point receive the option to open up the pendant to the dreams of the people (or a particular person). For instance, the crew visit 64999999 B.C. While there, Schala can opt to have the dreams of the Iokans infused with the pendant. They dream of fire primarily. The pendant thus gets does more damage to fire enemies or something (we can use all kinds of weapon statuses and justifications for them). Say she visits Zeal, and there they dream of immortality. Bonuses for that, too. Also, important individuals can also have their dreams preserved like Steena's eidolon techs, such as the Guardia Knight in 300 B.C.

So, we can chart where her pendant gets upgraded, and each time it receives a new dream, it is renamed accordingly. WillofFire, LivingZeal, Death Wish, PeaceCharm (for 600 A.D. knights who desire peace, for example) and on and on. What do you think?

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2005, 11:20:02 pm »
I LIKE! :D

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2005, 11:41:28 pm »
Ditto what Jake said.  As I stated before, I don't think it should be possible to find new items comparable to the Pendant in chests and whatnot.  Having the "one pendant" upgrade over time is the way that makes more sense story-wise.  And I really like Zeality's idea of how and why to do this.

OdF