Author Topic: Crimson Echoes Weapon Names  (Read 6431 times)

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Crimson Echoes Weapon Names
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2005, 03:48:05 am »
Futuristic designs of middle age weapons are hard to do. I imagine a basic sword that look...eh...'cool' in a sense. But this sword would have much better features within, including some way to possibly shield its user from attacks. Who knows.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2005, 03:59:44 am »
Quote from: Lordchander
Futuristic designs of middle age weapons are hard to do. I imagine a basic sword that look...eh...'cool' in a sense. But this sword would have much better features within, including some way to possibly shield its user from attacks. Who knows.

Basic swords look the coolest, actually. I never liked anything too futuristic in this way, and fantasy swords with all those strange useless (or comprimising!) 'features' like skulls and over-ornate hilts are just gaudy. Give me a good old plain sword at worst, or at best a nice hand-and-a-half sword in the viking style, with a damascus steel blade, and inlaid with gold. That is my dream sword.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2005, 04:05:40 am »
An idea for a sword that comprises of one of the elements are easy to do, like a Lightning Sword for example, simply make the blade yellow and make it all jaggedy and stuff, so you get the feel of the element it comprises. Even the hilt could be filled with gems that are yellow, which brings up a point, i cant think of one gem that is yellow can any1 name 1.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 04:11:28 am »
An idea for a sword that comprises of one of the elements are easy to do, like a Lightning Sword for example, simply make the blade yellow and make it all jaggedy and stuff, so you get the feel of the element it comprises. Even the hilt could be filled with gems that are yellow, which brings up a point, i cant think of one gem that is yellow can any1 name 1.

A yellow jaggedy sword would look terrible. I have an eye for swords looking realistic, or at least usable. For example, the Lord of the Rings swords are not real, but they are usable swords. A yellow jagged sword would serve no purpose, but a failed attempt at seeming cool. A true lightning sword would likely have only the faint glow of such a thing in the sheen of the blade, perhaps the symbol filigreed upon the blade, and maybe a yellow diamond upon the pommel. It is always better to be more subtle than over-the-top in making a sword look like what it represents. Imagine the sword in real life, imagine wielding it. That is the trick! Imagine Alexander of Leonidas or some other ancient warrior wielding it. Swords serve purposes, and never should the artistic design comprimise the function: at best, they blend perfectly together.

Oh, as for a yellow gem... I mentioned one, a yellow diamond. Some things like Garnet also have yellow varieties, I think. Jacynth may be yellow too, but I may be wholly mistaken.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2005, 04:14:50 am »
You just made me think Daniel when u said about placing the sword on like Alexander the Great. No, it wouldn't look good on him. But what about in a world where say for example Lightning was what powered it (a very fantasy world), now place this type of sword on say their finest General and it fits in perfectly with its surroundings.

Yes, I agree that it would not look good in our world, but take a look onto the other world...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 04:19:55 am »
You just made me think Daniel when u said about placing the sword on like Alexander the Great. No, it wouldn't look good on him. But what about in a world where say for example Lightning was what powered it (a very fantasy world), now place this type of sword on say their finest General and it fits in perfectly with its surroundings.

Yes, I agree that it would not look good in our world, but take a look onto the other world...

Fantasy must always be grounded in the real world, else it loses its impact. Have you never looked at a picture where they have done that and thought how overwrought it seems? It does not matter if it is here or on another world, a sword would not be forged to look like lightning: it would have no purpose. Even on such a world it would be useless. Do we make our swords look like the ground? I grant that on another world swords could be forged of other materials, but there is a certain limit in fantasy that I know all too well. Trust me on this: a sword like lightning would not look right. Furthermore, fantasy must remember its roots in myths and legends, and thus should not feel free to do such wild things. There is a stern line in the setting of the stories, after all.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2005, 04:24:24 am »
I just thought i would bring that up because im writing a story that has a Kingdom who uses Swords like that. And it is not exactly lightning-bolt shaped by the way if thats what ur thinking, because that would be useless, it simply more of a glowing yellow colour that points directly out from the hilt, no curves or anything like a katana, yet it is jagged along the sides, giving it a look of utter power and elemental danger.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2005, 08:12:02 pm »
Ah, alright, then. I'm just more for using fully realistic swords in my fantasy writing.

Now, then... I have here some dozen and a half weapons drawn and coloured. I'll put them up by wielder, including the ones I put up earlier. With the Legion you'll see why I professed not to be very good at making futuristic looking weapons.

I'll only have them up for a short while, though, so as not to over-tax my photobucket account.

MARLE

YEW BOW

IVORY BOW

CHERUBIM (KERUBIM)

FAY BOW

FAIL-NOT

MAGUS/JANUS

ISCARIOT

TOTENTANZ

LEGION

KRONIAN

LUCCA

QUANTASHOT

SNIPESHOT

ROBO

STRAINER

GLENN

DWARF SWORD

CALIBURN

CRONO

JADE HILT

SHAMSHIR

ARCO IRIS

ARA DEI

Beer Pope

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2005, 11:23:47 pm »
Several Norse runes stand for things that are quite appropriate for equipment. I'll list what I have.

Ansuz, for the wind
Hagalaz, for hail
Nauthiz, for strength of need
Isa, for ice
Eihwaz, for the yew (sounds much cooler than yew bow, doesn't it?)
Algiz, for protection or defence
Tiwaz, letter of the war god tyr
Laguz, for water

What do you think?

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2005, 11:49:37 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Quote from: Hadriel
What's wrong with technologically enhanced versions of ancient weapons, exactly?  Logically, such things should be many times more effective than their archaic equivalents, except in the case of Zeal-level magic use, and Zeal utilizes both magic and technology anyway (one could call it meta-technology or even magitech, following after FF6).  But anyway, a civilization that has the capacity to construct time distortion technology has the capacity to make vibroblades, bat'leths, lightsabers, or in general whatever they feel like.

They usually look contrived. Say, a futuristic scythe. It gives the impression of just trying to be 'cool', but is in actuality lame. The same goes for futuristic looking swords. They usually don't look functional, and any of the 'futuristic' things serve no purpose. The ones in Knights are all fine, but they look like actual swords, not some fantasy/sci-fi creation.

I'll give you the contrived bit.  A sword through the heart will kill you just as dead as a bullet.  The vibroblades in Knights were drawn from the existing Star Wars pantheon; they premiered as far back as Brian Daley's Han Solo novels.  The style in which they were constructed was aimed at practicality.  In all probability, the only real advancement future swords will have is to be made out of better material than current ones.

Edit: Bloody hell, those weapons are awesome.  I especially like the Fail-Not, Dwarf Sword, Kronian, Jade Hilt, Shamshir, and Arco Iris.  I still say the Ara Dei needs to be a lot more shiny; perhaps gleaming of its own accord with white light, in a similar graphical fashion to the Master Sword's appearance when it's fully powered.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:04:44 am by Hadriel »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 12:09:15 am »
Quote from: Beer Pope
Several Norse runes stand for things that are quite appropriate for equipment. I'll list what I have.

Ansuz, for the wind
Hagalaz, for hail
Isa, for ice
Laguz, for water

What do you think?

There are some ruins that predate Zeal in the game that all have Norse names. As weapons and armor to be found in these places, these names work spectacularly.

Daniel, we won't be able to incorporate (and don't want to spoil) everything in the demo, and we haven't finished the full list anyway. However, the work is top, and we can at least include three weapons in the demo -- the Lead Sword, Yew Bow, and Lucca's default. They can be released with the demo if you make them. Thanks so far.

AND THE PEASANTS REJOICED

ZeaLitY: Back to work!

Thanks to Joshalonia for that.

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2005, 12:10:48 am »
Hmm...Calasperan is basically what the concept of those pre-flight Zealian ruins morphed into.  I suppose we could turn those ruins with Norse names into buildings in Calasperan.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2005, 12:11:47 am »
Well, these are still the landlocked ones that are searched before the breaking point when the party is trying to find the Flame.

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2005, 12:15:31 am »
OK, we can work with that:

During the Calasperan sequence, I'd postulated that Crono would wander around the city doing random tasks.  How about instead of that he calls through two more party members to search the ruins at the behest of Melchior and Belthasar?  Under our current set of circumstances, those ruins could fulfill the role of "water dungeon."  That's a lot better than trading sequences.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2005, 03:39:59 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Quote from: Beer Pope

Ansuz, for the wind
Hagalaz, for hail
Isa, for ice
Laguz, for water

What do you think?

There are some ruins that predate Zeal in the game that all have Norse names. As weapons and armor to be found in these places, these names work spectacularly.

Daniel, we won't be able to incorporate (and don't want to spoil) everything in the demo, and we haven't finished the full list anyway. However, the work is top, and we can at least include three weapons in the demo -- the Lead Sword, Yew Bow, and Lucca's default. They can be released with the demo if you make them. Thanks so far.

AND THE PEASANTS REJOICED

ZeaLitY: Back to work!

Thanks to Joshalonia for that.

I'll get on the Ara Dei and its shine some time soon. I'm just too lazy to do it all that quickly.

As far as weapons go, I'm well aware it cannot be incorporated into the demo. I'm just drawing in the anticipation that it might some day come in handy. Moreover, several of the weapons can be used for different names, should you choose to change them: I just put in the ones that were already existant. Oh, how soon do you need the Lead Sword and Lucca's default? I can draw them tomorrow if needs be, certainly.

As far as Norse names go, though, I recommend that the DwarfSword name is replaced either by Nauthiz, Algiz, Tiwaz, or Laguz, with the first and last being preferable (particularially the last in that it connects with Glenn's innate.) The DwarfSword was one of my names anyway, so I have no problem in saying it should be removed in favour of one of these. Furthermore, the drawing of it is identical to a Viking sword, thus making any of these names apt to its design.

In so far as the Yew Bow goes though, though the Norse sounds decidedly better, it is meant to be the weak 'initial' bow, so a mythical/foreign name may not suit one so early.