Author Topic: Crimson Echoes Weapon Names  (Read 6435 times)

Daniel Krispin

Crimson Echoes Weapon Names
« on: July 20, 2005, 06:34:06 pm »
Yew Bow, Apollon or FarShooter, Fay Arrow, Ivory Bow, QuantaShot, SnipeShot, ArmingEdge, Gilt Sword, DwarfSword, Erebos, Jade Hilt, and Truesilver.

Astaroth, Kronian, Thanatos, Cherubim/Kerubim, Arco Iris, Ara Dei, Shamshir, (Bow) Alkanost, Fail-Not (Bow), Caliburn, Clarent, Galatine, Strainer, Charybdis, Vanitas, Totentanz, Shinigami, Grigori, Murmur, Legion, Vinsaule, Iscariot

Here are the names I was able to glean from the last two dozen or so posts, listed by status and character. I also came up with yet another weapon name for Magus, and this is Iscariot, a name with a two-fold allusion. Firstly, as a name for Judas who betrayed Jesus, it signifies a traitor, with is nasty enough to be held by Janus. Secondly, the very name Iscariot comes, in all likelihood from the group of Zealots who I mentioned earlier, who bore sickles sharpened on the reverse edge, and disembowelled people with them. Anyway, here are the names, as I found them:

DEFENITE

Crono:
Arco Iris
Ara Dei

POSSIBILITIES

Crono:
Jade Hilt
Shamshir
Truesilver

Glenn:
ArmingEdge
Gilt Sword
DwarfSword
Caliburn
Clarent
Galatine

Marle:
Yew Bow
Apollon/FarShooter
Fay Arrow
Ivory Bow
Cherubim/Kerubim
Alkanost
Fail-Not

Lucca:
QuantaShot
SnipeShot

Prometheus/Robo:
Strainer

Magus:
Erebos
Thanatos
Astaroth
Charybdis
Vanitas
Totentanz
Shinigami
Grigori
Murmur
Legion
Vinsaule
Iscariot
Kronian

So, there are those so far put forward. Any more? Criticisms?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 06:40:24 pm »
We can sticky this later to make it a naming thread; at the moment, I have but two requests. We need starting equipment for Crono, Lucca, and Marle for the demo. Marle's weapon is a Yew Bow. Any ideas for the other two? Wood Sword might be hard to top.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 07:27:36 pm »
That depends on how far we go with the demo.  For the start of the demo and the bar fight thing, they probably won't be carrying very powerful stuff (they'll have stuff like Yew Bow, etc.), but when they go to meet the King they'll have their CT uber-weapons for security, and also since I (and everyone capable of rational thought) is getting awfully tired of having sequels where you lose all your abilities at the start of the game for no plot-related reason.  Majora's Mask pissed me off because of that; you'd figure Link got in a damn 12-Star Destroyer pileup or something, was right next to an exploding heavy turbolaser, and went into a six-month coma, because that'd be the only way to get rid of his MIGHTY POWAAZ.  Even that, as lame as it sounds, is better than starting off with NO weapons for NO reason.  Besides, we picked it out earlier; they lose their weapons and magic in the giant unstable Gate produced from Lucca using the half-finished Chrono Trigger; this is later revealed to involve Gaspar and the Entity.  At least that's my idea.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 07:37:56 pm »
Yeah. I suppose they'll have the Valkyrie, Wondershot, and Rainbow for the meeting, then.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 07:43:29 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
We can sticky this later to make it a naming thread; at the moment, I have but two requests. We need starting equipment for Crono, Lucca, and Marle for the demo. Marle's weapon is a Yew Bow. Any ideas for the other two? Wood Sword might be hard to top.

Lead sword. How about that? Lead is a very soft, but heavy and cumbersome, metal, and for certain would only make a passable sword. If I remember right, when the Emperor Commodus fought in the arena, his opponents were given blunted lead weapons so that he would not be killed.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 08:15:39 pm »
How about a Hattori Hanzo Sword for a Crono katana? Obviously many of us know it from the Kill Bill series, but it also has the tradition from many other oldschool Japanese kung-fu movies.

*whips out Lone Wolf & Cub books*

Perhaps a weapon could be called Shima, which means the zone of death.

Or Meido, the afterlife. The land after death. Believed to be a place of darkness. Only a few Buddhist sects described a division between heaven and hell.

Meifumado, the Buddhist hell, the way of demons and damnation.

If you need a good weapon to replace the wood sword, how about Komori? It's a bat...but I don't know which it refers to...But whichever...It'd be funny to have Crono wielding a bat!

Or, an average sword, a Dotanuki, which is a battle sword, though literally, it means "sword that cuts through torsos".

Also, if you thought about calling a katana a Samurai Sword, perhaps Bushi would sound cooler.

Or perhaps simply an Ogamo Itto Sword in honor of the kick ass Lone Wolf himself...perhaps a smaller Daigoro companion sword for Lone Wolf's Cub! :wink:

Ah, Lone Wolf & Cub...you're so good to me...

edit: after going through some more LW&C...

Sakki - The palpable desire to kill, directed at another person. Sometimes called blood lust. Based on the concept of ki, or energy, found in spiritual practices and Japanese martial arts like Aikido. These body energies can be felt beyond the physical self by the trained and self-aware.

Wakizashi (or Kodachi) - med sword 1-2 feet

Bokuto - wooden practice sword - This could replace the Wood Sword as well.

Onibocho - Demon knife

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 03:17:36 am »
How about Schala's daggers?  I asked a friend of mine who specializes in them (he's Asian, so that's a double plus) and all we could come up with is tanto, despite the fact that I just bought a $40 piece of cutlery that can shear through car doors.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 03:20:12 am »
I just don't know that I can see Schala using daggers...  A staff maybe, but not a dagger.  And there are plenty of good names for staves. :)

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 03:34:06 am »
The reasoning behind Schala using a dagger was the fact that Kid used them in CC, but a staff may be more suitable for her.  God, the amount of stuff we could yoink from Diablo...

Must not yoink...yoinking from Blizzard is the dark side...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 03:36:28 am »
Quote from: Hadriel
The reasoning behind Schala using a dagger was the fact that Kid used them in CC, but a staff may be more suitable for her.  God, the amount of stuff we could yoink from Diablo...

Must not yoink...yoinking from Blizzard is the dark side...

Blizzard IS the Dark Side. Did you see what they did to the Elves?

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 04:23:46 am »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Did you see what they did to the Elves?

Oh God, not again! :roll: :lol:

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 06:47:07 am »
Aw, man, a staff/rod for Schala would be stepping over the cliche line for me...even for Chrono Trigger...That was the one super-awesome thing about Chrono Trigger's cliche female characters that I loved, none of them used the crappy cliche staff/rod, not even the healer-girl, Marle used it, she got a crossbow.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 07:06:16 am »
for some reason i always thought of Marle using the pendant as her weapon, maybe you could have a 'power points' throughout the game to make the pendant stronger, instead of actually changing the weapon itself (they did that in Kingdom Hearts with the Key Chains).

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 07:22:26 am »
Well, This is just a few comments.

On Magus' possible weapons, Shinigami means deathgod, and a deathgod's weapon (or so in most anime) is a sword.

And about Marle's Bow, Doesn't Yew Bow seem to bleak? Doesn't sound fancy, but I'm guessing it's going to be used as her first weapon?
Oh, And how about a bow named Apollo or something for Marle :P

Lordchander has a point about the Pendant getting stronger. I think I made that point somewhere earlier Oo

Anyway, The point about Schala's weapon-
I was thinking that when you find her in the Ocean Palace, maybe the pendant is gone? And she starts of with another pendant maybe called the Astral Amulet, and nearing the end of the game, Schala find's her pendant and thats her final weapon.
The point would be "How do you use it'? I thinking that maybe a normal physical attack from Schala or the pendant would be like a psy-beam shot towards the enemy, getting stronger with each upgrade of her weapon (maybe pendants power) etc.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 09:28:16 am »
Pendant is a neat idea.