Author Topic: Font discovery: Niveau  (Read 1518 times)

neologix

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Gate Sealer
    • View Profile
    • ATOM - Apollolux Tabular Object Management system
Font discovery: Niveau
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:27:12 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, after years of searching I believe I have finally found a font that will be acceptable for use in remaking the word "CROSS" from the Chrono Cross logo:

I present Niveau Grotesk, specifically Bold (possibly Black). Not surprisingly, the same guy made a Serif Gothic-looking companion typeface, Niveau Serif, that can be used as a more than acceptable replacement for Serif Gothic when remaking the CC logo. It was released in 2013, hence the lack of existence until now.

Upon acquisition of this font, CC logo vectors should now be extremely possible. YOU'RE WELCOME :)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Font discovery: Niveau
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:28:40 pm »
Ifreakinglovethatfont! Whyyyy does it have to be so expenssiiiiiiiiveee?!

Well, it DOES look quite like Chrono Cross logo, but still would require a bit of tweaking!

I don't think I can ever understand why artists call their beautiful pieces as "grotesk" (grotesque).

neologix

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Gate Sealer
    • View Profile
    • ATOM - Apollolux Tabular Object Management system
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:45:12 pm »
As far as existing typefaces go, Niveau would seem to require the least modification necessary to recreate the CC logo. I'm also pretty sure it's based on an existing (old) design, as the companion Niveau Serif looks a hell of a lot like Serif Gothic.

Gill Sans was one of the closer previous options, but its 'R' is more ridiculous than most other curved stem Rs and other straight stem R fonts like Penumbra and Futura were straight stem. Serif Gothic's R wasn't close enough in proportion to be considered previously.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:21:00 am »
Fucking asshole elitist font-designing dickweed. Jesus that's a lot of money. Motherfuck this entire system. Fuck marketing, fuck advertising, and fuck the people who relish in dressing up poisonous shit.

Matt72

• Porrean (+50)
  • Pink Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:38:15 am »
ahahaha 250 dollars for a bunch of pixels

Matt72

• Porrean (+50)
  • Pink Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:55:52 am »
ps if that font costs 250 dollars then this thread is going to run into the thousands

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:25:02 pm »
The $250 figure is actually for 18 variations of the font. If you wanted, say, only the bold version, or only the small caps or whatever, that would cost you $40. That's still fairly stiff for a single font face (I'd normally expect several of the common variations lumped in together at that price), but not quite as ridiculous, especially when you consider that the foundry is expecting to sell these to design firms, not individuals. And yes, design firms will pay those prices for a font guaranteed to work correctly with the quirky, temperamental, and easily broken software they use for layout. (Seriously, Adobe InDesign is awful, with a habit of exporting broken PDFs, and I doubt Quark XPress is much better.)