Author Topic: Chrono Spiritual Successor Brainstorm Session (Come and join the fun!)  (Read 27235 times)

idiotekque

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Hey everyone, long time Chrono fan here who stumbled upon the site while looking for something.

A long time ago I remember a site dedicated to a project to completely remake Chrono Cross with Chrono Trigger graphics. As far as I remember, it added nothing to the story, just mirrored the original PSX version with a SNES style version. When I came across it, there were screenshots and whatnot, but it was still totally in the making and didn't have any playable content yet, I don't think.

I've looked around, and I can't find it. Kind of a depressing sign, in light of shutdowns like Chrono Resurrection and Crimson Echoes... I'm hoping this Chrono Chross fan remake didn't get the axe as well.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate any information! In the meantime, I really have to try some of these fan made games you have here, some of them look excellent. :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:10:31 pm by idiotekque »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Fan Remake?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:46:57 am »
Maybe you're thinking of Chrono Master? (Also available, with explanation, at the Radical Dreamers translation's homepage). That project didn't get anywhere. As I recall, there was even some confusion at their development forums over just what form the program would take, whether it was an engine clone or an editor. This was before Temporal Flux (first released in 2004).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:49:55 am by Vehek »

idiotekque

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:50:36 am »
Hm... that doesn't sound familiar at all. I don't think what I'm thinking of was that much of just an idea, since it was in development when I was looking into it, had screenshots (including CT style sprites of CC characters), etc.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:10:46 am »
How long ago was "long ago"? How much "in development" was it? Did you actually look at the links I gave? They have screenshots, or more likely, mock-ups. Can you see those?

idiotekque

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:17:06 am »
New to the forum, the links (almost) look like regular text until you scroll over them. Didn't know that, or I'm just up too late.

That could have been what I'm thinking of, after looking at that. The site doesn't look familiar at all, but the one screen shot with Kid and Serge's sprite in it does. Shame it never took off. :c
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:30:36 am by idiotekque »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:18 pm »
A while back someone (don't remember who) had designed Chrono Cross' battle system in SNES graphics and integrated Chrono Trigger-style Chrono Cross graphics into a little showcase. There were screenshots and there was a video somewhere of the concept.

Edit: Here's a few RD videos, but it isn't what I was referring to... [youtube]xvjeQyFpOzs[/youtube]

[youtube]2FFZlV2HL4s[/youtube]

idiotekque

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:43 pm »
It's a shame... I guess there just aren't enough Chrono Cross afficianados vs. Chrono Trigger ones to get such a big undertaking going and finishing it. :(

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 08:55:42 pm »
Well, that and the fact that fan projects of that sort have a tendency to get C&D letters from Square Enix.

idiotekque

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »
Yeah, that too... They always get so much attention, that's the thing. Things need to stay on the DL. >.>

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 09:02:46 pm »
Okay... So I'm pretty sure the video I'm thinking of was made by "Bob Wilson" - Bob Wilson goes by a different username here on Compendium (well, assuming he's still at the Compendium) but I can't remember who he is. Bob Wilson is his username on another website.

Darn it! This is going to bug me until I find it. It's REALLY well done and showed a lot of potential. It was crazy exciting to see.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:17:56 pm »
No characters from Cross, but this might be what you're thinking of. It's unlisted and doesn't have any hints of what it is in its description or name, so it can only be found if you have a link to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0WbG5soJ0U

It was a ROM hack, with the battle system done through event scripting. I think he stopped work on it a while ago.

idiotekque

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:20:12 pm »
That's just awesome.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:22:10 pm »
That's it, Vehek! Thanks for finding that. I had spent about 30 minutes or more trying to find it. It's been a few years since I'd seen it... Awesomesauce. Pure awesomesauce.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 01:52:32 am »
Wow. That video really is dripping with "awesomesauce." If only it were playable!

idiotekque

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 02:05:03 am »
As fun *cough* as ogling dead projects is, how about any active/completed ones? What are some of the best playable fanmades?