Author Topic: Dragonians, Reptites, and El Nido culture  (Read 1816 times)

NimmerStill

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Dragonians, Reptites, and El Nido culture
« on: April 29, 2013, 04:37:41 pm »
Two questions or pieces of food for thought, and if they've already been covered in some article or forum thread please direct me to that if you can.

1. Is there any direct evidence in-game that the Dragonians were indeed escaped natives from Dinopolis of the Reptite dimension? I like the theory, but I just played the game through and I can't see anyone directly making that claim.

2. Since FATE has such control over the destinies of the descendents of the Chronopolis factory workers, why did it allow the culture to become so pro-Dragon God/Dragonian? We know that the Dragon God is FATE's enemy, and if the above theory is true then so by extension are the Dragonians. But until the arrival of the mainlanders, the human natives seem to have basically worshipped the Dragon Gods (if Steena's religion is indicative of the religion of the native humans in general).

And this is not academic; this pro-Dragon God culture is directly responsible for Serge's willingness to trust the Dragon Gods when they fooled him into opposing FATE, and hence ultimately for FATE's demise. It is somewhat ironic that it was the recent immigrants from the mainland and their descendents, who FATE didn't want there for other reasons, who showed skepticism about the Dragons and Dragonians and preferred purely human culture.

So if FATE can convince people to stop pursuing poetry or fishing, then why couldn't it take steps to ensure that its humans would shun the Dragon Gods and the Dragonians and all of their culture, and hence eventually cause Serge to be suspicious of the Dragon Gods? I mean if one of the theories about demi-humans is true, FATE even had humans interbreeding with Dragonians. Surely FATE would not prefer this.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonians, Reptites, and El Nido culture
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:40:43 pm »
Hey there NimmerStill, welcome to the forums!

1) Just checked the script, and you know what? I can't find any direct references either. :o However, given the similarities between the Dragonians and the Reptites, and their cultures, I think it's a plausible theory.

2) If we hold the other theory of Chronopolis being in a temporal bubble to be true, then knowledge of FATE's influence in the present could affect its existence in the future. But that's not really your question now, is it?

I think it is more accurate to say that FATE is the Dragon Gods' enemy, not vice-versa. FATE's goal was/is to create a paradise; merging the human and Dragonian societies may have been the easiest solution. In this way, perhaps FATE was giving its people something to believe in by promoting Dragon God lore while at the same time maintaining a peace with the Dragonians.

NimmerStill

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:31:37 pm »
Hi. Thanks, and sorry for not introducing myself. Long time reader, player, first time poster, as they say.

And that does make sense on both counts, since we know that the Dragonians worshiped the Dragon Gods, which we know the Dinopolitans created, and we know that both maintained a greater connection to the earth than humans did, and also, where else would they have come from?

And it's a perfect analogy to the case with humans. Because the humans of the Chronopolis future originally created FATE, but their descendents' memories were erased and so they viewed FATE/fate as more of a mystical force, and likewise the Dinopolitans/Dragonians originally created the Dragon God, but their descendents (whether their memories were also erased or not) lived more primitive lives and so worshiped rather than utilizing it.

As for the second part, I suppose that means that FATE didn't really understand how much the Dragon Gods hated it, or hate them back. That's interesting, and I hadn't thought of it, but it's true that the main rhetoric of hatred goes in FATE's direction and not the other way. I guess I was biased, like the characters were, into thinking of FATE as the bad guy.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:43:24 pm by NimmerStill »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:30:46 pm »
As for the second part, I suppose that means that FATE didn't really understand how much the Dragon Gods hated it, or hate them back.
Well I think the Dragons are a necessary part of their plan of creating El Nido paradise. Fate, though called a God, is also a tool of Belthasar's plan. It doesn't matter if it/he knows or not, as long as the Dragons are under proper control (at last Fate thinks they are).