Author Topic: Reverse Design: Chrono Trigger is complete, and now public!  (Read 5192 times)

TGDF

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Hey Chrono Compendium!

We talked about our project to reverse engineer all the design decisions that went into CT a few months ago, and now Reverse Design: Chrono Trigger is finished!  You can check out the web version here: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_CT_1.html and you can preview the very sleek (and affordable) ebook version here: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_CT_ebook.html

Thanks so much for your support!

The Game Design Forum Staff

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Design: Chrono Trigger is complete, and now public!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:44 pm »
This is fascinating, thanks so much for your analysis TGDF team!

I wonder how many of these details were actually laid out in Chrono Trigger's design document, and how many things just took shape by chance during the production.

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:39:48 am »
I read it and what a wonderful analysis of the design that made up Chrono Trigger.  I never realized how much the first half of the game was steeped in an illusion of choice, because I was overwhelmed by the number of choices that were available.

However, I would argue that the game itself undercuts is own inevitability in the Tragedy of the Entity with the idea of a New Game +.  While it is outside of the main gameplay, some of the endings offer breakpoints which indicate that the party's actions (or lack thereof) did have an impact, or at worst, had an impact and which was subsequently undone by the party.

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:35:32 pm »
mind is blown, especially with dividing it into 2. didn't realize how little an effect the first 12 quests are so actually have on the present and future. Also, I don't think I ever knew about the hidden room in ozzie's fort lol. I enjoyed the analysis of zeal, so spot on, especially the point of elaborate walls, doors, even making a soft golden glow from the windows. had not realized there was no dungeon in the zeal quest either lol. Wow CT really broke some ground, especially looking at the zelda paradigm and amplitude charts. You analysis of uematsu vs mitsuda's general outlook on music for games was more enlightening than anything. Finally went through FF6 too!

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:10:42 pm by Synchronization »

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 03:40:27 pm »
not sure I follow to be honest.....

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:10:01 pm by Synchronization »

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:29:29 pm »
I don't need a memory refresher, what does it mean? The only thing I can think of is the crono clone you are misconstruing as a puppet and wondering if it has a mom, other than that I've really no clue.

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »
Very cool info ! I would have liked to have more analysis on Schala though.

I think her "death" after Ocean Palace makes tragedy - the loss of Crono - even worse. I really had a sentiment of failure when I played. Big time. It was even better at my second playthrough because I knew Magus spent his whole life for this instant of failure : Schala sacrificing herself at the Ocean Palace so the party - and Magus - could be safe. Her last words :

"I know you can't forgive her but...please don't hate mother, or our kingdom."

While the palace collapses all around her, she only cares about others.

Later, when you revive Crono at Death Peak, Magus's silent "..." when he fixes the ground says a lot.

Lubdar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:20 pm »
that was insightful

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 06:08:40 am »
I know I'm late to the party, but: This is fascinating stuff. Some of the best game analysis I've read in a while. Good job, TGDF!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:11:45 am by gatotsu911 »

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 06:11:15 am »
However, I would argue that the game itself undercuts is own inevitability in the Tragedy of the Entity with the idea of a New Game +.  While it is outside of the main gameplay, some of the endings offer breakpoints which indicate that the party's actions (or lack thereof) did have an impact, or at worst, had an impact and which was subsequently undone by the party.
Definitely agree with this. The New Game+ feature is actually vital to the game's central theme and absolutely should be considered when analyzing it.