Author Topic: *false alarm* Square Enix registers "Chrono Bind" domain  (Read 7660 times)

idioticidioms

Re: *false alarm* Square Enix registers "Chrono Bind" domain
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 04:52:00 pm »
Idioticidioms, I think you're looking at it from the standpoint of someone who may have the tools and skills to actually do it himself and be able to prove that a high quality game can be made for little to no money, which is true. Small studios and creative individuals can sometimes come up with amazing work, with the lack of a budget only adding to the "amazement". However, with larger companies (and we know SE is large, Square ate Enix and then Eidos or EA or something, I don't remember) everyone is a legacy employee and has a certain salary they are guaranteed. Combine that fact with the amount of time needed and the amount of people per project and then how many concurrent projects are in development at once, and a company's money is very quickly all gone, that is to say, tied up in investments. Not to mention investors, shareholders, producers, directors, supervisors, managers, security, IT, marketing teams, accounting, licensing, legal teams, and any other employee who isn't even working on a single game directly but is required and as such, on the payroll (it is a company first and foremost). To decide to make a game is extremely expensive for this company because it means every one of those people needs to get paid, most of them before there are even any profits from said game.

Remaking a game is a huge decision, because what they have been saying with their lack of a remake is that the original still holds up. That IS the game, definitively, warts and all. A remake says "maybe it could use some work". So they redo everything, new engine, new script, new 3d models, new music, as Lennis said.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that you guys aren't arguing really. You have complimentary points. Lennis is saying it is expensive, and he's right. You're saying it shouldn't be that expensive, and you're right too.

I think SE is ludicrously large and they're basically dooming themselves with unsustainable growth and limited output due to corporate and financial pressures.

Yeah; that's the point I was trying to make. They could put those games out if they wanted to; but they'd rather focus on peoples pride and greed; caught up in their own legends and their ideas of what they're worth. They assume that they have to do more with a game when they remake it when all they simply have to do is overhaul the graphics a bit and keep everything else the same. I mean, did you see how many fans of FF6 bitched about the DS version that completely changed what certain things were called? Yeah, it was a better translation, but people are fucking stupid; and the people of squeenix even more-so for all of their intelligent design. I'd gladly take them all out back and shoot them for what they've helped do to the world. I never said he was wrong; just that it was bullshit.

Mans vision exceeds his reach. Biiiiig surprise.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »
...I mean, did you see how many fans of FF6 bitched about the DS version that completely changed what certain things were called?...
Do you mean FF3? 6 hasn't been scheduled for a release on the DS yet.

idioticidioms

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 06:46:51 pm »
...I mean, did you see how many fans of FF6 bitched about the DS version that completely changed what certain things were called?...
Do you mean FF3? 6 hasn't been scheduled for a release on the DS yet.

I might have been thinking of GBA.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 11:55:12 pm »

Ah, so certain fans just don't allow such changes?

idioticidioms

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 04:35:53 am »

Ah, so certain fans just don't allow such changes?

When they have nostalgic value attached to something, it doesn't matter if it's inaccurate or not; they love it for its flaws and its uniqueness; the human quality of work instead of machines. A lot of care was put into those games; long hours and little sleep and the fans appreciated that. A good amount of people remain open to a few changes even though there were also a good amount who didn't much care for them. I, for one, enjoyed the GBA version of FF6 in its entirety and it was the second RPG I ever played back on SNES. (The first being Chrono Trigger) I even played through the japanese version waiting for an american rom to be released (up until Leviathan in the WoR, anyway, where it became necessary to know exactly which items were what.); which it was the day it came out in stores.

The hardest part of any designer that's remaking an old game for a new system is to keep as much of the old game intact as possible. Upgrade the graphics a bit; add a few extra sections to the game, maybe; but leave what the fans really love: the stories the way they were told; a mixture of new and old into an intoxicating embrace that brings new life into the franchise. Of course; like Achmed the dead terrorist you have to remember: location, location, location. Wrong system will breed disaster for any game; like the 3DS. They never should have ported final fantasy games to that.