Author Topic: anybody else not care for Chrono Cross?  (Read 5174 times)

Berf

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: anybody else not care for Chrono Cross?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:39:48 pm »
Don't get me wrong, Chrono Cross is an excellent game. Better than the average crap regurgitated by game studios these days. But it fails at several crucial points.

Even if, for a moment, you ignore the existence of Chrono Trigger, Cross still has several shortcomings. Having 40+ characters was, in my opinion, a failed experiment. Everyone could join your party, everyone could use almost all techs (Yes, the element system is badly designed, IMO. More about that in another post, perhaps.) and everyone spoke the same lines, modified by accent. Exciting. And the pacing of the plot is terrible. I mean, absolutely atrocious. Opassa Beach Exposition is a complete disaster. This tarnishes an otherwise interesting story, because pacing is as important as plot. I also don't care for the overall misanthropic mood of the game, but that's my personal taste. Though let's admit the whole "evil humans hurting the nature-loving peoples" is as cliché as it gets.

But here's the thing: You can't ignore the existence of Trigger. It doesn't matter if you want to call it a sequel or whatever, Cross is a direct continuation of Trigger's story. And, for several reasons that I don't have the time to get into right now, Cross is a terrible sequel (whatever you want to call it, the specific word doesn't matter) to Trigger. If Kato wanted Cross to be judged independently of Trigger and stand on its own merits, he should have made the game without any connection to Trigger. Because, let's face it, the setting, characters, story, all that could've easily been modified or rewritten to have no connection to Trigger. But Kato opened the door when he made his game a continuation of another, and when he did that he introduced certain expectations for this continuation that were not met. Basically, he tried to have his cake and eat it too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:43:27 pm by Berf »

Dalton

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 08:27:40 pm »
Cross is shit compared to Trigger. Weak story, weak music(only Scars of time is Chrono-ish in terms of quality), shitty elements system :picardno

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:24 am »
In terms of art and sound design, Chrono Cross remains one of the most stunning video games I've ever seen.  In terms of story and character development, however, it is lacking in ways that have already been well documented here.

One thing I will add is that Serge being a mute really isn't helpful considering how strongly the plot revolves around him.  I've never been a fan of mute protagonists in general, and Chrono Cross is a good example of how that device can be misused.  "Player as character" doesn't work when the plot demands a level of understanding that the player cannot possibly have without getting into the head of his avatar, or for that matter, supporting characters that can adequately explain what's going on.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 10:00:21 pm »
I too didn't care for Chrono Cross that much. When I first found out there was a sequel to my beloved game I was so excited. And then when I played Chrono Cross- nothing seemed familiar. (except the battle music at the end). It was a lot darker than Chrono Trigger -which was fine, don't get me wrong and i enjoyed the music and overall art.

However it just didn't feel like a Chrono sequel. The whole time I kept waiting for anything familiar- I jumped at the name Glenn, gasped in horror when I saw Johnny 'The man's cameo, and when I finally heard about Lucca from Kid- I was devastated. Also the entire time I was waiting for time travel when rather it was dimension crossing- which was also a cool concept but - its the characters. There are SO many characters and I think the plot suffers from it. Or  - maybe the plot needs work on it's own too.

I'm not sure but maybe I would have enjoyed the game more if i hadn't been constantly waiting for it to connect to the previous game. My bad luck- when i finally got to go back in time to lucca's burning orphanage- my cd was scratched. I couldn't get past it. It kept freezing. I was so angry with the game I STILL haven't picked it back up. (not that the scratch was the game's fault).

Also I found myself very confused in general with Chrono Cross- until I got older and read a lot on it. Maybe it was intended for an older audience? At the time I was like 9? 10? Had no problem with Chrono Trigger, but Cross, that was a challenge. It just felt like all my favorite characters were dead, the masamune had been turned evil, even little characters like Gato are destroyed in a fire, and I was convinced Sage of Marbule was Crono in hiding. I also had trouble really connecting to a lot of Cross's characters. I liked Leena but i never figured out how to get her on my team I cared for Serge and Kid and - i can't even remember half of their names. There were too many characters and not a lot of story for all of them. And again I think because I expected more familiar places/faces (and less death of everyone I loved lol) in a sequel- I was let down and if I hadn't gone into it expecting at least one major character from last game to be a playable in this one than maybe i'd like it more? I can't tell! I think a lot of my problems with it- are that i expected more in a sequel.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:02:41 pm by TheMage »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 11:16:11 pm »
That seems to be the general consensus of everyone I've known who didn't like Cross: too many expectations and too many characters.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 06:47:09 pm »
What you do it, if you do it...
Are someone really play that all endings?