Author Topic: CS Demo Response Thread (WARNING: Spoilers)  (Read 14703 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
CS Demo Response Thread (WARNING: Spoilers)
« on: March 19, 2011, 04:58:10 pm »
Played the demo yet? Liked it? Hated it? Found bugs? Talk about it here!

:D

EDIT: Here's the link to the video walkthrough with Director's commentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8snhGOv40k

Soon to come: Achievements.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:44:22 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: CS Demo Response Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:34:50 pm »
Incredibly slow download... cursed megaupload.........

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »
I'm sorry, but let's try to keep this thread for discussion of the demo itself please.
Edit: I added a Mediafire link in case people have problems downloading through RMN or Megaupload.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:26:38 am by Mr Bekkler »

Magusmage

• Porrean (+50)
  • "I didn't create Lavos, just called him...I think"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:57:18 am »
Well, I downloaded it and played too. I can say that it was very very nice to play! The battle song was so...incredible!
Very well, I found a bug (now start to cry...just kidding xD):

1th. Sometimes the characters following me can walk through walls.
2nd. Nothing.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:04:31 am »
Yeah, unfortunately, I know about that bug but can't do much to fix it without rewriting the caterpillar code entirely, and it's already long and tedious. For the full game I might take a stab at it, but the decision I made was it's better to have characters following you a la Chrono Trigger, and end up with them walking through some stuff they shouldnt, than to just have one person on the screen. I put a lot of work into those sprites! Well, most of em, anyway. I have to admit, Sierra the terrorist is a mishmash of two Dragon Quest 4 sprites, and Taven, the girl team member with green hair, is a recolored mishmash of two other sprites from Dragon Quest 4. But in the long run that just made their battle sprites harder (and take longer)to make than if I just based them on CT sprites like Norstein and Rush.

The battle song is "Final Fantasy I Chaos Temple" by The Dual Dragons.
The final battle is " Fire Cross" by LuIza on ocremix.org
The secret boss is "Thrash's Snakebone Pit" by OA on ocremix.org
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:31:48 am by Mr Bekkler »

Magusmage

• Porrean (+50)
  • "I didn't create Lavos, just called him...I think"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 01:07:50 am »
Yeah, the sprites were very well-worked!
The walk-through-things bug isn't too bad, correct it would just make the game more beautifuler, you know? One more time: great game!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 01:11:21 am »
You make me blush! Thank you.  :oops:

The Overture Team is the best!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:17:48 am by Mr Bekkler »

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 02:09:30 am »
Pretty good despite unable to use the D-pad on my USB controller. I did come across a rather weird yet somewhat funny glitch. In the first monster filled area after departing with the green haired girl, I went up to an enemy, expecting to get into combat. Instead, every other enemy in the current area rushed over and started humping the characters and THEN battle started.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:20:58 am »
Yeah that sounds like the first battle I coded, still trying to figure out how to deal with enemies attacking you and having enough time for sound effects and stuff. The effect was pretty hilarious, I call those enemies Snakerats. I think the later battles came out much better.

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:35 am »
The golem is a tough one...

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 04:21:07 am »
Just finished playing the demo  :D  Over all very good! the story is very interesting and dialogues are good. I liked the character art and the music. I think the sprites look good and I really like that each character have their own victory dance, little details like that are what helps define the characters from a visual point of view... Also I like that Taven "pushed her way into your party", instead of just joining you, that made me smile  ( :P very Chrono Cross-ish).

Now some small observations:

I couldn't find any important bug, just some little details with collisions here and there, for example:

Here the characters can get behing the globe.

In this place there is an invisible barrier, you can't walk over it.

The floor texture in this area here was a little distracting visually, maybe too noisy...once I got used, it didn't bother me at all, but at first it was distracting. I know is based upon the Cursed Woods graphics, but I think in black and white the texture is heavier on the eye (ugh, I don't know if I'm making any sense with that...>_> I'm not fluent in english)

I like the way the end of time graphics were used for the Zeal Falls scenary. The only thing that bothered me was this bridge, it looks good, but since the characters don't walk diagonally and it's very long, it's difficult to transit through it without stopping a couple of times.

In this part I actually clicked the switch like three times because I thought it didn't do anything, then I moved north and noticed the door. I think maybe after you press the switch, it could be good to add a sound of a door opening or something  indicating that something had happened out of your range of vision.

On the battle sequences I think it should be more evident which enemy is attacking you, I know the enemy in question flashes briefly, but it is so briefly I didn't noticed it at first and during the first fight I didn't get who was attacking me. I'm not saying there need to be fully animated sequences for each enemy attack, but maybe a more evident effect? moving the sprite slightly or using an arrow to indicate the attacker.

The Golem was though(but not impossible) the first time I played it, but when i played the level again, and explored the whole woods and equiped all the tabs, the Golem was a piece of cake.

I really don't know anything about balancing battle stats and stuff like that, but are Earthbound characters going to gain some kind of technic equivalent to the aura eventually? Not having one could be a disadvantage for them compared with the other characters. I did not feel Rush was strong enough to compensate his lack of aura, but i may be wrong.

All of these are observations from my point of view, and from a first playthrough perspective  :) Frankly I think the game does work pretty well the way it is already, and it looks very promising. Very good work!  :D

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: CS Demo Response Thread (WARNING: Spoilers)
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 04:44:38 am »
Thanks for the input!

I can't really change too much of the battle system, but I'm trying to find a good way to make the enemies move when they attack, if it proves too time consuming to be feasible, at the very least the bosses in the full game will move some.

I was thinking about possibly giving Rush some techs but haven't reached a firm decision yet. Might start a poll. I'll definitely pump up his stats a little more.

For Zeal Falls, TheMage made the maps for it (and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it for the first time!) and I kind of like that it's difficult to get around that diagonal part, it makes the platform that looks like the End of Time a more suspenseful reveal. The whole place is sort of constructed to be looked at and taken in. This is Zeal at its ethical prime!

Schala Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 04:50:22 am »
Ah yes, the grainy snowy area.... I will admit at first the texture did strain my eyes. You might want to soften that up.

EDIT: Here's a good 52 examples of bad game development to take note of http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/65116 I hope this helps polish CS up! ^^
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:52:48 am by Princess Schala Zeal »

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »
I can soften the woods  :wink:

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:04:02 pm »
Just finished! :D I think I found all the secrets bwahahaha and I didnt find any bugs, well maybe one, everytime I walk over the healing square in the secret room I get attacked by the boss I already defeated but hey he got me to level 30, and made the golem a peace of cake! Also freaking awesome techs and I love the battles, they look lik there on the map just like Chrono Trigger, and I like how walking in certain places may trigger a battle  :D