Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 176916 times)

Unclever title

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 02:07:34 am »
Well crap, there goes a lot of creative content.  Yeah I can understand Square Enix's decision but unfortunately I don't share the same optimism as some of you regarding new Chrono games from SE.   Reading the letter it really seems they are willfully overlooking key details of the the whole fan tribute idea.  But then again considering these were romhacks then the problem lies mostly in the requiring and encouragement of downloading roms which are in direct copyright infringement.  

Hindsight says that this might have been a bit brazen making this essentially "out in the open" but then again hindsight...

I guess what we really need now is a time machine.  :)

But I think I left the keys to the Epoch in my other console...

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 02:08:34 am »
It's possible that CE might become a fanfic, but nothing is set in stone as of right now.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 02:25:43 am »
<FaustWolf> You know why Masato Kato couldn't put all the CT characters in Chrono Cross? ... Because Square wouldn have sent him a C&D.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 02:28:10 am »
Magus22, weren't you arguably the first one to propose Dalton at the Fall of Guardia too? Years before CT:DS came out?

...Anything you're not telling us?

No you are absolutely correct. I know it sounds fishy.

Some things are better kept secret until the time is right.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:30:49 am by Magus22 »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 02:30:10 am »
I got inspired in a bad way. This is in the motivationals thread too but I felt it was appropriate for here. You can take it down if you feel it's not. I understand.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 02:35:40 am »
Maybe now you guys can focus on doing something truly productive, as opposed to wasting your time working on extremely time-consuming fangames using other people's copyrighted material.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 02:38:46 am »
Maybe now you guys can focus on doing something truly productive, as opposed to wasting your time working on extremely time-consuming fangames using other people's copyrighted material.
Wow...uh...just wow. I think a fuck you is in order but will that truly be enough?

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 02:39:45 am »

ITS SE! GET 'EM!

... jk.

SGR

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:14 am »
This little metaphor (if that's the right word) sums up my feelings on the whole thing.

Imagine Square Enix as a limp-dicked, ugly as sin man leaning over a toilet taking a very long shit.  The toilet is us, the fans. Every so often, Square Enix will crap out a gem. For example, The World Ends with You. However, in between those periods of gemshitting, we have to put up with more shit, as is the case here!

...And then...

OH NO!

NEW CRYSTAL CHRONICLES! BATTER DOWN THE HATCHES, EXPLOSIVE DIARREHA!

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 02:46:07 am »

Modding is just a hobby, like anything else. By that logic, doing anything non-profit like writing, painting, collecting cards, playing video games, sculpting, or reading any kind of novel would be a waste of time and truly unproductive. By that logic, why are you even here? Browsing forums is just a waste of time, isn't it? Maybe you should be doing something more productive.

Modding is just a hobby. A way to keep a person sane during long work weeks or heavy schooling. In the end is a tangible result for many people to enjoy.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 02:46:30 am »

Paul Simon is better...

And I didn't even work on CE. You're just rude.

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 02:54:29 am »
...well, this whole thing put a hair in our peach cobbler.

I'm so sorry, guys. ;____; I just don't know how to say it enough. I can't imagine how bad that hurt. Square are a bunch of assholes to have done this, ESPECIALLY this close to release.

I'm personally boycotting Square. They've been sucking for near 10 years anyway. So way to go, Square. I was a fan of yours before I could read. Hell, Final Fantasy IV TAUGHT me how to read. I've loved your games since 1991, and it ends this way. I can't believe it. I cried during FFVI. I skipped school to play Chrono Trigger. I JUST finished a play through of Super Mario RPG LITERALLY 10 minutes before Zealty posted about the C&D. I loved you guys that much, and it's over.

I want to beat them at their own game. I want to make a game that blows them out of the WATER for what they've done. A game designed to SINK THEM. And you know what? If people make fangames of my stuff, I'll be FLATTERED, and I'll be sending them congratulatory emails instead of snotty C&Ds. Bastards. Unbelievable, sickening, arrogant, BASTARDS.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 02:54:49 am »
SGR: What the hell? SE didn't do anything wrong. CT is their game, they can't just have people going around using there creation for there own use. Now it was mine I wouldn't mind a non-profit fan game being made, but some other group making a game to be sold? No. SE Just says no in both cases, its a reasonable action. Maybe the feel by stopping non-profit fan the can stop profit developers as well with less of a hassle.

So people don't bash Square-Enix over this its a completely legitimate, if horribly disappointing, move (if anything it makes you look like immature fanboys).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:57:42 am by KebreI »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2009, 02:58:02 am »
Right, this was Square's prerogative, and they took it. I'm just sad they didn't see the opportunity in the project.

SuperSlash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2009, 02:59:59 am »
You've got to be joking...

I was really looking forward to this, as I know many others were. This is very unfortunate. Should've known this would happen right before the release. ;_;