Poll

Was Yasunori Mitsuda inspired by Rick Astle song?

Yes
1 (7.7%)
No
8 (61.5%)
He heard it somewhere, and it was left in his subconscious.
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Composer Never Heard of Rick Astley, Robo's Theme Completely Orig  (Read 2893 times)

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
http://kotaku.com/5102689/chrono-trigger-composer-never-heard-of-rick-astley-robos-theme-completely-original

Click the link in the article to hear the video, and be amazed. It isn't just any rick roll video, it must be seen to be believed.

I hope this doesn't turn into Chrono Trigger hate like some of the other posts I was reading :p.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:41:11 am by lockgar »

Ramsus

In 1995 every Chrono Trigger fan in the world was subconsciously Rick-rolled.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Here's the supposedly full version of an interview done with Mitsuda:

Game music
Yasunori Mitsuda Gets Rick Rolled, Is Surprised
12.05.08 | Jayson Napolitano | 4 Comments

Well, I’ve been hinting at a huge surprise regarding Mitsuda’s work on Chrono Trigger for weeks, and here it is. I hope the build-up pays off! People who have played Chrono Trigger have always joked that “Robo’s Theme” was the first rick roll, so I thought I’d show the video to Mitsuda and ask him what he thought of the track.

I’m surprised to say that he was actually a good sport. I was expecting him to say, “Oh, interesting, I never heard that before.” Instead we get what sounds to be genuine surprise. Maybe we’ve made a fan of him?

See his response after the jump.

OSV: Mitsuda-san, please bear with me, as this is hard to explain even in English! There has been an Internet phenomenon in the United States called a “Rick Roll” where people send the following video to one another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

This is a big Internet prank or joke, and some game music fans have noticed how the background melody sounds similar to “Robo’s Theme” from Chrono Trigger, calling “Robo’s Theme” the first “Rick Roll.” It’s this big Internet joke. I was hoping you could comment about this, and about Rick Astley’s song? Do you think the video is funny?

Mitsuda: It certainly is the first time I’ve seen this. I’m surprised! That’s the first time I’ve heard of Rick Astley, and it’s interesting that such a phenomenon is happening in a different country. Thank you for your time!

So, that’s it. Was it everything you imagined? Maybe “Never Gonna Give You Up” will become the next karaoke craze in Japan.

[Special thanks to Justin Pfeiffer and Brad Rice for translation]

I wonder if there was any more to that interview, and if it's even real.

Vagrant

• Iokan (+1)
  • rocket surgeon
    • View Profile
Seems like it's real.

Quite funny too, but yeah. I think it's coincidence.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • http://clovis15.deviantart.com
I refuse to believe it's a one in a million coincidence, but it's not entirely impossible he heard it and then forgot he heard it and the melody stuck. Melodies are very good at sticking in people's minds, and can be quite hard to get out afterwards.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
I never even made this connection  :shock:. Perhaps it's because I would never in a million years listen to Rick Astley or anything like it voluntarily, so I was unfamiliar with the melody of the song. But, it's uncanny. Coincidences do happen in music, however.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone else besides me noticed how every other country music song is a complete (and shitty) ripoff of popular classic rock songs? Country music sucks so bad on so many different levels it confounds my mind.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Much like Santa Claus, Woodstock, Adolf Hitler, and the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance in 1955, this song sits at a major focal point in space-time. It had to be written. More than once. I have a hunch that we will find other versions of it scattered throughout the local cosmic continuum, including all of humanity's major cultural junctions, such as Starbucks, your mom's house, and Easter Island.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
See also the Scars of Time / Gilvve Gollat similarity:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=3836.0

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE6WFQR8Oik

It reminds me this video(off topic though)...if you think it's too long, just listen to the beginning part and skip to 4:26.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:17:06 am by utunnels »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Hah, I remember thinking that the moment I first got Rick Roll'd...there are a couple decent mixes of the two on Youtube, if you're as dorky as I am, you should check 'em out.

The Gilvve Gollat one though...that caught me off guard...

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
Hmm...interesting. If so, that these are just a meer coincidence, then I must say that is one baffling coincidence.

Amazing what you learn every day, no?

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
See also the Scars of Time / Gilvve Gollat similarity:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=3836.0

This is nowhere near as uncanny as the Robo/Rick Astley theme. It's just in the same key with a similar rhythm, not the exact friggin' notes.