Author Topic: Add to compendium: Gates and why they lead to the End of Time  (Read 1694 times)

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Add to compendium: Gates and why they lead to the End of Time
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:44:18 pm »
In the gates entry, one of the questions asked is why the gates lead directly to their locations at first, and then later to the End of Time (with the strange exception of the Tyranus Lair gate).

The theory that's currently there is all and good, but I think Gaspar himself presents an even more basic explanation.  He says:

"When 4 or more beings stop into a time warp, the Conservation of Time
theorem states that they will turn up... at the space-time coordinates of
least resistances.  Here.  Disturbances in the space-time continuum have
increased recently.  Far too many folks are just popping in here...  I fear
something is having a powerful effect on the very fabric of time..."

That at least explains how they first end up at the End of Time.  For why they keep returning, I think this is because they have left friends at the End of Time.  Their connection with their friends draws them back to that place each time they warp.

It should be noted that the gate at the Tyranus Lair was directly caused by Lavos, just as some other entity created the gate in Fiona's forest.  These gates are special, and don't follow the normal rules.  It has its own power, an overwhelming desire to draw the party to the next point in time in which Lavos was activated.  Once satisfied, it reverts to the normal functions of any gate.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:09:58 pm by Zipp Dementia »

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
Re: Gates and why they lead to the End of Time
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:34:17 pm »
Hm, that sounds like an interesting theory. I think it works. I still say it's just a gameplay quirk, but don't let that dissuade you. ;)

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Gates and why they lead to the End of Time
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:09:38 pm »
Well, the first part at least should be added to the compendium, since it comes from Gaspar's own mouth and answers the question asked.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Add to compendium: Gates and why they lead to the End of Time
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 11:37:46 pm »
So you're saying that even though they're not together physically, they're still together as companions so that the Conservation of Time theorem still takes precedence even when technically only three of them travel through a Gate? Seems like kind of a stretch...

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:03:49 am »
And the Entity isn't?

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:43:12 am »
When they are subtle like an anvil to the head in the campfire scene and even moreso in Cross? No, the Entity isn't a stretch.

This could be, though. I just don't try to explain the more nitty-gritty details. They're gameplay quirks, that's my theory. This one is interesting, though it may have holes. (As so many things in the chronoverse do, sadly...)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 11:44:28 am »
Also, I forget, what's his Conversion of Time theorem like in the retranslation? But anyways, it just seems like once you've traveled to the End of Time all of the regular Gates become linked there...maybe some aspect of the EoT changes the party, the Pendant, and/or the Gate Key that causes the redirection afterwords. Or perhaps going to the EoT changes the Gates themselves, instead of just linking to one another, they link to the EoT like some kind of temporal byway or something...'conversion' means change, right?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 11:46:33 am by V_Translanka »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:03:36 pm »
Old Man: When you enter a space-time distortion with four or more people who live in different times, the dimensional field distorts......
However, there are many space-time distortions in this place.
There are even those who, like you, appear here aimlessly......
Perhaps something is exerting an effect on all of time......
It doesn't seem to give much of a reason.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 03:29:58 pm »
It seems more like he's saying, "The Entity did it" in that version...

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 06:27:10 pm »
Because the game is kinda linear and are supposed to be accessed in that order. :P

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 06:46:24 pm »
Technically there are areas you can go to before you're supposed to go there...Like 65,000,000BC...it's just that nothing really happens there if you go early...And, much like FFVI, after the Ocean Palace incident, the game opens up & isn't really all that linear at all...

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 08:27:03 pm »
But what are ANY of the theories in the compendium except conjecture?

All I'm saying is that in the compendium there is a specific question which asks WHY DO CRONO AND CO. FIRST END UP AT THE END OF TIME?  And Gaspar clearly answers that with his conservation conversation (TM).

It doesn't matter if it's conjecture.  It's cannon.  It's in game.  It should be included.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 02:51:49 am »
I don't think I understood what you were actually trying to say with all of this. Besides pointing out the Conversion of Time theorem, which I figured was mentioned in the Gate's explaination (it sort of is)...but, yeah...the Compendium is constantly being changed and/or added to, y'know? If you really wanted to talk about something like this, you should have looked around the Analysis forums...

There are a lot of entries I've never bothered to read...I don't even understand where this part of the Gate entry comes from...

Since Gaspar is the Guru of Time, he is responsible for Gates connecting to the End of Time, Conservation of Time theorem nonwithstanding. He decides if and when Gates will connect to the pillars at the End of Time. He may also have to witness a Gate used in order to acknowledge it and link it at the End of Time. The only requirement is that Crono and his crew have to find and use a Gate for it to link to the End of Time.

Oh, and there's only two Ns in that kind of canon. The kaboom arrrr mateys one is cannon with three Ns. Huzzah!

<~*POST 5555*~>
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:00:22 am by V_Translanka »

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 01:15:05 pm »
All I was trying to say is that I think I have something to add to the compendium's Q and A sections, which mostly consist of conjecture and theory.  I was excited to find that one of the questions has a NON-conjectural answer, but it hadn't been posted yet, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I don't know why that's so confusing... maybe I just posted in the wrong forum.