Author Topic: Feedback Needed: Chrono Compendium Aegis System  (Read 9234 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Feedback Needed: Chrono Compendium Aegis System
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:53:23 pm »
If you look at most modding communities, they consist of a lot of individual people with their own projects working independently. Projects take a long time to develop because talent is spread very thin and personal research is kept private. In the end, the fans suffer because fewer projects are released from the lack of coordination. Now, reflecting on our current fan projects (and I don't mean to offend people), Chrono Trigger + is in limbo, Azala Style is totally stalled, Re-Amped is going very slowly because it's only one guy, Time's Illusion is at a standstill, and Rebirth has a title sequence done after a few months of work. Crimson Echoes has shown significant progress thanks to jsondag2, but even it is having issues due to personnel shortages.

I've always tossed the idea around of designating one fan project "Compendium sponsored", where like all the official faculties of the site are geared towards it. It'd get a prominent button on the sidebar and maybe other places, and clicking any of those would take the reader to an encyclopedia page set up by and maintained by that project's leaders which advertises opportunities for help and open positions. This way, more resources are directed to a single project chosen because of its appeal and likelihood of getting finished. Once it's done, a new fan project can fall under the Aegis.

Still, I wasn't sure how others would feel about this, or whether it would be truly effective. If it went into action, for example, a few people could clean up one map each from Crimson Echoes, and in one gesture 90% of the mapping work will be done for the project. But when one person like jsondag2 is tasked with cleaning up maps, it represents a lot of time and limits contributions to only one vision. If this system works ideally, fan project development time will be cut down and research will be shared among more people. There will also be more "accountability", as an increase in people with a vested interest in a project should increase interest and volunteering. And the small talent thats invested into projects that are stalled will instead be of real use. Anyway, feedback wanted.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback Needed: Chrono Compendium Aegis System
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:57:10 pm »
ZeaLity, I actually think this is a great idea.  I've thought about this before: too many projects with too few people.

I stand behind the conceptual Aegis.

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:03:56 pm »
This is a very interesting idea and it has a lot of potential.

How many people are actively working on Crimson Echoes right now? The Chrono Cross Hack is still in the R&D stages, so maybe some of the people form there can help out with getting CE finished, since the end result of CE might affect our project as well. I think it would be beneficial for all involved, but I was unsure if the CE team wanted to try and keep it only between a certain amount of people.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:06:58 pm »
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. The project should go faster but there will be parts completely unorganized, and communication will be a problem.

A say give it a shot

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:26:08 pm »
How many people are actively working on Crimson Echoes right now?
Officially, I think 20 or so people can see the CE forums. But right now, IMO, the active team is pretty much three people: jsondaq, Cybersarkany, and me. And I'm not doing much besides testing the patches jsondaq releases.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:27:45 pm by Vehek »

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:37:32 pm »
How many people are actively working on Crimson Echoes right now?
Officially, I think 20 or so people can see the CE forums. But right now, IMO, the active team is pretty much three people: jsondaq, Cybersarkany, and me. And I'm not doing much besides testing the patches jsondaq releases.

Anything you could use some help on?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:10:44 pm »
Mapping

Nightmare is really the only skilled mapper we have but he's busy right now.  Truthfully I believe people say they will map just to get access to the forums so I think if people are interested I'm going to give them flux files to edit their maps and they can give me the flux files back.

Spriting:

I made a post in kajar labs saying I needed a spriter.  It's a tough job...hopefully someone will do it eventually.

There's other needs but it's for more advanced stuff (enemy AI and such) that'll I'll probably just do myself)

I plan on having a MVP beta test before the actual release composed of just active compendium members.

--JP

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:19:16 pm »
jsondag, did you want to include edited techs in CE? Your tech editor is particularly user-friendly and fun to tinker with. I will continue work on the tech formats as I'm able, but it would be great to get others involved.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:05:56 pm »
Oh were there will definitely be edited techs

--JP

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 03:36:24 am »
I've been saying this for years about the RPGmaker community in general. CRISIS is getting so far along just because of luck, I think--we have an AWESOME team so far, though we could use a few more people.

Coordination=good things, though. I wonder if people will be willing to put aside their own projects to coordinate, though.

Gluttony

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 12:17:58 pm »
Well, I know I've said this before......I'm willing to use my programming knowledge for something like Crimson Echoes. If people are needing help on it.

I don't know how low level you guys go to develop Crimson Echoes.....but I might be able to be of some use. Like I said before, I'm quite proficient in C++ and C# and still learning Assembly (a pain in the ass)...but I do have experience making little games here and there and an actual Megaman remake for my student game project.

So yeah, I can give you guys some help when needed. If the helped is wanted, of course!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 04:31:13 pm »
Any of the other ROM hackers wish to give feedback? I guess it's your time and talent that is highly-prized in the community..

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 05:38:13 pm »
To the other hackers out there, you don't necessarily have to put your projects on complete hold while pitching in in a Compendium flagship project like Crimson Echoes. Doing something small like cleaning up a map every once and a while or tinkering with jsondag's tech editor & posting your findings would probably make a big difference, and it helps you earn some street cred and practice if you've just entered the hacking world.

It helps if you can find some aspect of Crimson Echoes development activities that either inspire you or that will provide useful experience. When I did the Magus portrait and ending art insertion for Prophet's Guile I learned TileMolester inside-and-out, which really helped me when dealing with the TIM format images in Chrono Cross later. While identifying the Layer 3 Graphics packs for jsondag's tech editor, I learned that there's often no rhyme or reason to the way game developers arrange visual elements when it comes to in-battle effects, and that lesson proved true for Chrono Cross as well, much to my chagrin.

If you're a newcomer to the Compendium reading this for the first time and are trying your hand at using Temporal Flux, going through and debugging maps for Crimson Echoes would provide hugely useful experience for your own planned projects. Don't be afraid to jump into it; there's no way you can mess anything up because the CE team keeps regular backups (...I hope :D).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 06:42:51 pm »
Perhaps we should lay out how this would go into effect, then.

• A special encyclopedia "embassy" page would be created for the sponsored fan project, listing whatever information fan project leaders choose, a list of areas needing help, contact information (like forum and e-mails) and links
  • A link to the project in the navigation
  • A 150x50 link button on the sidebar towards the top enough that it appears on the front
  • A top sticky in Kajar Laboratories
  • If I can swing it later, a long, slender button at the bottom of every page

Anything else?

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 08:10:17 pm »
Mapping

Nightmare is really the only skilled mapper we have but he's busy right now.  Truthfully I believe people say they will map just to get access to the forums so I think if people are interested I'm going to give them flux files to edit their maps and they can give me the flux files back.

Spriting:

I made a post in kajar labs saying I needed a spriter.  It's a tough job...hopefully someone will do it eventually.

There's other needs but it's for more advanced stuff (enemy AI and such) that'll I'll probably just do myself)

I plan on having a MVP beta test before the actual release composed of just active compendium members.

--JP

You need a spriter do you? May I volunteer?