Author Topic: Artwork  (Read 912 times)

Daniel Krispin

Artwork
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »
So, I was thinking, I don't think we have a general artwork thread on this Compendium (at least nothing I recall being active), and so, having recently finished a painting, thought to start one for just such a purpose, for those who are (or style themsleves to be, or simply like to try) artists. So of whatever sort, whether Chrono or not, here is a thread to display one's artwork.

So, I'll start that off, with the one I finished recently: the Greek hero Hippomedon, from the assault of the Seven champions of Argos against the city of Thebes. Hippomedon, in assaulting his assigned gate, has been driven into the Ismenus, the river of Thebes (much like, for those who know the Iliad, Achilles and the Skamander.) So here he is fighting the god of the river, and the river itself. However, unlike the Peleian hero, Hippomedon does not survive this encounter, and dies fighting. Nonetheless, it's a valiant stand, and I wager someone such as ZeaLitY will rather like the ethos conveyed by it, the sort of god-challenging spirit of this hero. So that's the description of what it portrays. I did it in acrylics, and it took me... well, countless hours.

So, who else has artwork to show us?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Artwork
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »
Damn. Godslaying ethos or no, that's pretty awesome. I have little to contribute, but what are the bounds on what can be shared in this thread? Is spritework, for example, admissible? Or did you have only the traditional visual arts in mind?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:05:15 pm »
I'd say whatever you judge you want to share. Doesn't matter. If you think it's worth showing, by all means show it. I'd be happy to see it.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:28:13 am »
This one's mandatory:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:20:46 pm »
Whoa Chrono '99...  Who did that?  I like it.  It's... isolationism is sort of endearing.

Patchy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:36 pm »
"No man is an island ... " came to mind for me.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 12:34:55 pm »
It's called Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer, or "The wanderer above the sea of fog" and it's by Caspar David Friedrich.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Caspar_David_Friedrich

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 01:15:24 pm »
Here's a favorite of mine:

http://crusades.boisestate.edu/pics/crusades/128.jpg

I thought they might be by the same guy (Karl Friedrich Lessing), but alas!  It wasn't meant to be...

Also, since we're on the subject of art, check this out.  It's beautiful.  Sorry for being spammy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08bVhrcB_w

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 01:29:06 pm »
That Youtube vid was awesome and introspective, Boo. Thanks for sharing.