Author Topic: A theory on the Time Devourer  (Read 1510 times)

Arcane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
A theory on the Time Devourer
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:18:24 am »
I was thinking, the other day, how would Lavos get so much power while in the Darkness Beyond Time?

What do I know about Lavos, I asked?

1) He burrowed into the planet's crust to harvest DNA. Not much is known about his method, perhaps the ability to absorb from a great distance?

2) He was sent to the Darkness Beyond Time after events in Trigger.

3) He then fused with Schala.

And what do I know about the Darkness Beyond Time?

1) The Darkness Beyond Time is the final wastebasket for timelines nullified by time travel.

2) It is possibly the resting place for all dimensions' timelines.

My theory is this: Lavos used DNA from all of those different timelines to become the Time Devourer. He fused with Schala at some point, perhaps harnessing her considerable magic power. It also seems to me like Lavos has godlike power, but perhaps a lack of finesse.

He now either uses Schala's abilities to harvest DNA from all the various timelines or sacrifies Lavos Spawn to do it. Lavos Spawn, not being connected to Schala, can only last a short time there.

Even assuming it's not the resting point for all dimension's timelines, it's still a considerable resource of DNA. Imagine how different the people are in the Reptite Dimension, or if the Darkness Beyond Time even spans the entire universe!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: A theory on the Time Devourer
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:48:43 am »
Since there are no replies, I'll go ahead and address it. Chrono Cross (well, the lost timeline) seem to suggest that Lavos's evolution at this point is now a matter of harnessing Arbiters to gain enough energy or something else to mature and cause the destruction of space-time.

Evolving in the traditional format sort of seems moot at this point. It's suggested that the Time Devourer needs Serge, or at least needed Schala in order to mature...that it needed these individuals despite the fact that under your model, it would have had access to trillions more.

Finally, there's no basis for those dead timelines being accessed, manipulated, or experienced save for the resurrection of Lavos's destruction in Home World's future. Still, that's a special case; they probably meant that Serge just caused destruction over again instead of resurrecting a specific timeline. As for the theory that Lavos gets to the DBT exactly because his pocket dimension timeline is negated and sent there, implying that there is a corporeal existence after such a thing, well...the PD theory isn't too healthy these days, and it's about to be reevaluated or seriously modified. How Lavos got there is an enigma.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:30:06 am »
Lavos has some sort of connection with Schala thanks to the Mammon Machine, and...

[Ghost]
   Yeah, but based on previous
   experiments, I'm sure it'll
   work out just fine.
   During their simulation,
   FATE guaranteed that they
   would be able to use the
   Flame as an up-link to
   extract the anti-annihilation
   energy associated with it.
   Don't worry, it'll be a success.

...the Frozen Flame, which may have been part of the Mammon Machine, can apparently manipulate "anti-annihilation energy". Could this energy have allowed Lavos to maintain a corporeal existence in the DBT?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »
I guess that works well. If Lavos can reach through time for Chronopolis with the Frozen Flame, we have a basis for actions like that.

That starts begging the question of whether the Lavos who reached through time is the one from the Lavos timeline or the Time Devourer.