Author Topic: Dimensional Dilemma for Tossed Salad?  (Read 5186 times)

Empiric

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Dimensional Dilemma for Tossed Salad?
« on: January 09, 2004, 01:22:07 pm »
I've never been one to keep up to date on temporal theories, but here is something that has been nagging me for quite some time:

In order to get Turnip you must go to one dimension and cool down a patch of ground that got a little warm during a battle; whenever you go to the other dimension the character Turnip is there and ready to be dug up by Poshul?  Aggh!  
The only explanation I can think of is that Hermits Hideaway has a thinner barrier between dimensions, and that cooling the ground in one dimension saturates that anchor area with enough magic too cause the same sort of process that NeoFio was created in.  But that just doesn't seem right!  Does anyone else have any other thoughts on this?

If this seems plausible, are there any other Dimensional 'Anchor' points that seem to connect the two dimensions, where an action in one changes the appearance or function of the other?  (Apart from where angels lose their way and the dead sea.)

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 02:01:44 pm »
This wouldn't be too unreasonable, since it is generally accepted that the reason you can travel from Home to Another at Opassa Beach is that the dimensional veil is either at its thinnest or nonexistent at that point. So, it would make sense that there may be other spots in which the veil is thin.

An interesting thought just popped into my head. Perhaps this is why some NPCs and PCs' dimensional twins seem to lead similar or the same lives, while everyone around them lead drastically different lives because of the split. Perhaps they, themselves, have a very thin dimensional veil, causing little difference to come about. And, then, the ones whose lives have the most difference would logically have thick veils about them. The same would go for areas in which the same monsters roam in both worlds; perhaps these areas are so unaffected that their environment has not changed in the least!

So many such places, then, could exist all throughout the game. I have not finished CC, and what I have played so far was years ago, but I can't recall any specific examples to support this theorem. Maybe someone more experienced  can assist.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 02:32:38 pm »
dunno if it can help but, Home Turnip seems to be the dream of err... some grass of Another, and Home Marbule's Lagoonates are Another Black Dragon's dream.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 05:04:16 pm »
Indeed; dreams can apparently transcend dimensions, and it is plausable that points similar to Angelus Errare might exist (though they do not tangibly connect the dimensions as it does).

JustinS1985

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 06:52:43 pm »
Just a small note, but I believe that there is a connection also between the Forest around Viper Manor.  At one point in the game you can roll a rock over a hole in the ground, blocking a stream of monsters in one dimension, if you do it, the same rock is moved in another dimension, trapping a person behind it, if you don't roll the rock the person in the other dimension isnt trapped.  (I think this is Funguy, one of your party members, but it's been a while since I've been through that area of the game, so I'm kinda fuzzy on it.)

doulifee

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doulifee.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 11:50:49 am »
look like dimension have strong and weak link like nuclear. the strong  one work like one (if you modify one the other is affected) and weak one, these can be dispatched and turn into different story for each dimension. that mean the area where you found neo fio can be hot and wet and it's alter ego in the other dimension follow the same way. that allow neofio to use the area to grow.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 12:54:28 pm »
I think you're talking about Turnip, not NeoFio.

Yeah, I like this idea of weak dimensional veils, strong and weak dimensional links.  Perhaps the El Nido area is just a temporally weak area, since it has so many near-holes in the dimensional veil.  Maybe this weakness was caused by Chronopolis ending up there during the Time Crash?  Or perhaps it's the other way around...the weakness attracted Chronopolis there from that non-space between eras?  Any thoughts on this?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 05:01:24 pm »
I'd venture that the most logical guess is that when dimensions are split, some 'link's or entities have stronger inward compositions or some other physical phenomenon that result in them running a bit closer to each other. I'm thinking of two planes set atop each other with space between; some points dip, nearly touching each other, while the only tunnels between the two are Angelus Errare and the FATE Island distortions in the Sea of Eden.

If natural physics aren't the case, I'd say that since El Nido is naturally more magnetic (stated as the reason Chronopolis was built there), phenomena like this can occur errantly.

doulifee

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 12:32:48 pm »
Quote from: YbrikMetaknight
I think you're talking about Turnip, not NeoFio.

Yeah, I like this idea of weak dimensional veils, strong and weak dimensional links.  Perhaps the El Nido area is just a temporally weak area, since it has so many near-holes in the dimensional veil.  Maybe this weakness was caused by Chronopolis ending up there during the Time Crash?  Or perhaps it's the other way around...the weakness attracted Chronopolis there from that non-space between eras?  Any thoughts on this?

or you can think like a temporal black hole effect. the anomaly was strong enough to catch chronopolis in the other dimension (like a black hole) and made the time crash in the landing dimension...

and about the dimension ii was thinking about scratched paper were the summit join to form strong link. (the common "point")

Empiric

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 11:50:22 am »
So basically here is what we are talking about:

____________________________   Home World
\  /
|  |
|  |
|  |   -Tunnel:  Connection point between worlds.  Barrier on each side,
|  |                 however barrier can be breached, and breaker can 'fall'
|  |                 through to other side.  Barriers reform once fall is made.
|  |
/   \              
----------------------------------------   Another World

Example:  Angelus Errare.

\    /
  \/
  /\    
 /  \                            
/    \                      

-Dual Mountain:  Points connect, but do not allow passage.  Change
On one end is affected on other end.  If one mountain changes, the other changes as well to compensate for size changes.

Ex:  All characters that appear in both worlds that are relatively the same.
Places where change in environment is reflected in other world.

\    /
 \  /
  \/        

-Single Mountain:  Unstable.  Mountain fluctuates at will and can even pierce barrier.  Can cause complete changes in one world, but not in other.  Something exists in one world but not in the other.  Ghosts.

Ex: Serge.  Marbule Ghosts.  Characters in only one world.

-Plains:  No connecting points.  Area in either world is capable of
                       independent action, and may in be exact opposite of the
                       opposite world.

Ex:  Orcha, Van, characters in both worlds that are different.

I wish I had both the technology/Tech prowess to make a 3D map showing some of this in relation to the two worlds, but I dont.

doulifee

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 06:36:16 am »
good job empiric. like we said in french "un petit schema vaut mieux qu'un grand discours"
i completly forgot the marbule ghost. i need to replay CC !!
look like there is semi -interaction (a one way influence) and non interaction.  

1 indepandant state
2 One way interaction
3 Strong link or dual interraction
4 Weak link (Passageway) or gate (where the 2 dimension cross themselves)

OathoftheTimeTraveler

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ffexp.com
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 03:45:47 pm »
I'm currently reading the book Timeline, and there seems something applicable to this situation. When I have finished forumulating and applying it, I will present it here.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 06:05:18 pm »
Quote from: OathoftheTimeTraveler
I'm currently reading the book Timeline, and there seems something applicable to this situation. When I have finished forumulating and applying it, I will present it here.

A warning:  A number of us have decided that most of the temporal mechanics found in Timeline don't apply to the Chrono series.  They just don't seem the same as what we've found in the games.

That said, if you find something you think is applicable, go ahead and mention it.

OathoftheTimeTraveler

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ffexp.com
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 07:02:56 pm »
Thanks for the warning Ybrik, I'll definatley keep that in mind.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 11:21:57 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
dunno if it can help but, Home Turnip seems to be the dream of err... some grass of Another, and Home Marbule's Lagoonates are Another Black Dragon's dream.

Spoiler
yes turnip seen the dream of the sleep dragoon at Viper Manor.Weirdo.

By the Way.

What about that instead "parallel dimensions", in CC, we have convergent dimensions that touch it one at some point or intervals:

parallel

________________ A

________________ B    

convergent
____................._____A
.......\.............. /
.........\ __c___/
......... /...........\
_____/..............\_____B

c is a interval that is common to both timelines or dimensions...