Author Topic: Mathematical Error in Timeline and Dimensional Analysis  (Read 2073 times)

Voldine

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Mathematical Error in Timeline and Dimensional Analysis
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:02:26 pm »
Something I noticed as a niggling issue regarding the timeline references here: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Principles_of_Time_and_Dimensional_Travel.html

More than once, it is stated that Chronopolis was both sent back ten thousand years and sent back to 12,000 BC. Since Chronopolis is from 2,400 AD, these assertions are mutually exclusive. Either Chronopolis was sent back to 12,000 BC, or it was sent back 10,000 years...to 7,600 BC.

12,000 BC would be closer to 15,000 years in the past. 12,000 +2,400 = 14,400 total time traveled. This flies in the face of what is said to specifically be a ten thousand year jump back.

2,400 - 10,000 = -7,600 = 7,600 BC not 12,000 BC.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematical Error in Timeline and Dimensional Analysis
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:52:17 pm »
There are definitely some contradictions in game as to when Chronopolis is sent back to in time. And in fact, it's never once stated to be 12,000 BC! But it makes the most sense, as you'll see below.

From this old thread, Duke Serkol expresses the same confusion you have:

Finally for Kid's speech.
   In the year 2400, during a
   counter-time experiment, the
   Flame goes out of control...
   This causes the dimensions
   to rip apart, resultin' in
   the Time Crash.
   Engulfed in an enormous
   dimensional vortex,
   Chronopolis was hurled ten
   thousand years back in time.
Uh, but I thought the Tower of Geddon was "Time Crash Ground Zero", implying that the Time Crash was what created the Dead Sea. It certainly made more sense to me seeing as time in the dead sea seems to have crashed to a halt much like a computer's system crash.
Also, once again, Chronopolis is said to have been sent back 10 thousand years, which from 2,400 AD would be 7600 BC. In order for it to be sent all the way back to the fall of Zeal, the correct amount would be 14400 years, which is closer to 15 than 10 (quite the big difference). Kid also says this:
   At the same time, another
   city from a different
   dimension's future, was
   also thrown back in time.
   Dinopolis...
And Belthasar states that Dinopolis was sent back about 10 thousand years in the past.
However Lucca's ghost says both that Zeal's destrcution occurred in 12,000 BC and that Schala traveled ten thousand years forward from there to reach Serge (while Kid says she has been waiting for ten thousand years, gah) and the Frozen Flame tells Kid that the kingdom was destroyed ten thousand years ago... so I give up! I have no idea whether Chronopolis went back to 7,600 or 12,000 BC!

And here ZeaLitY gives his reasoning as to why 12,000 BC makes the most sense.

As for 7600 B.C., the Compendium originally did make this interpretation. It looks like I didn't make a page about the decision to make it 12,000 B.C., but I think it was because""

1. "10,000 years" is used elsewhere as a guesstimation;
2. Floating ice is shown in the Polis War, suggesting the Ice Age still hadn't completely ended;
3. "The awakening Lavos" line suggests that this was Lavos awaking at the Ocean Palace but in this timeline, perceiving the Time Crash, becoming aware of his future defeat, and using the Frozen Flame to introduce chaos into the timeline to try and prevent that defeat.

#3 is the "official" Compendium explanation for that event, based on Kato's suggestion of that in the GamePro interview (I think). These Chronopolis issues make me worried that if Chrono Break ever does materialize, the internal consistency will be bad enough to wreck all the beautiful consistent theory we've made for the existing games.

I'm not sure what GamePro interview he was talking about. But he made some good points. "10,000 years" seems to be an approximation, since multiple characters say it when referencing the same event. And the only "awakening of Lavos" anywhere near those possible years is in 12,000 BC.