Author Topic: Canīt beat the bosses anymore, getting old?  (Read 1102 times)

haiku

• Iokan (+1)
  • i am fan of chimpansees
    • View Profile
Canīt beat the bosses anymore, getting old?
« on: April 08, 2014, 07:53:35 am »
i think have kind of a problem. I do not play games very often but sometimes i do. And during the years i have started to feel that iīm not so good in them any more than i used to be. I have trouble getting through the games by myself. I think i have had this problem quite a lot lately and now I have started to play Chrono Trigger for the old times sake and i get beated repatedly - its so damn difficult. In the beginning i was quite sure that i can definitely do it by myself but i got so angry and impatient at last so i got some help from a walktrhough. i kind of think i have become stupider or something, īcause i donīt remember that i was so much stuck when i played it for the first time.
Have you ever had same kind of problems? Please  tell me that iīm not the only one here....
Or is it really that boose is killing my useful braincells already..?   :picardno

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Re: Canīt beat the bosses anymore, getting old?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »
First, lay off on the booze. It won't do you good in the long run :)

Secondly, I have encountered similar issues too, but with older SNES games I used to play when I was in my single-digit years. I knew so many tricks in Street Fighter II TURBO (for example) and yet it's extremely difficult to do them now... same goes with remembering all the Bonus stages in Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario World.

I can play exceptionally good with Street Fighter 4 on the next-gen consoles though.

We adapt to a certain style when exposed to it for a very long time, and after a while, when we move away from these once-daily "routines," we start to lose that "linkage" during the progression through life, as memories are added/archived. Your own memory of Chrono Trigger is still there, but the style/technique you once were familiar with needs to be reconnected, almost rediscovered in a way.

tl;dr

Short answer... yes, you are not the only one here.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Canīt beat the bosses anymore, getting old?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:40:23 am »
Sadly, the human brain has limitations.  It's well documented that older people don't learn things as quickly or as reliably as younger people, and that they need to expend more effort and energy to make up the difference.  Unfortunately, older people find that level of effort difficult to commit to because of all the other life obligations they have to deal with.

In my case, I can still game quite well when I'm focused, but unlike when I was young, I don't perform well when I'm dividing my attention between several different games and other activities.  I forget things too easily.  Gone are the days when I can switch out several of my games in one week and play them all like an old-school champ.  I have to focus on only one and play it to total completion before moving on to the next.  This is problematic in an era of MMO's, which have vast amounts of content and are never truly finished.  I've tried to play more than one MMO in the course of a given week, and I just can't.  Even the ones that have similar play-styles have their own unique systems to remember and master, and my brain overloads when I try to recall more than one.  The more I play, the more I just want to lay down and crash.

In the case of older RPGs like Chrono Trigger, it would be best to start at the beginning and relearn the nuances of the system while progressing at a measured pace to avoid having an underleveled party in the big fights.  And avoid superfluous usage of restorative items.  Use magical healing whenever possible and use tents to restore MP as necessary.  The key to surviving most boss fights is to have enough saved up potions and stuff to adapt to whatever the boss throws at you.  Even if you don't remember all the patterns, you can still prevail by being prepared.