Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Episode 1 - Part 1 January 2014 update  (Read 3794 times)

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Episode 1 - Part 1 January 2014 update
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:34:58 am »
Greetings Compendiumites.

The next installment of my Chrono Trigger novel project is ready for the Compendium's enjoyment and review.  I know it's been a long time since my last update, and I apologize for that.  Crono's trial was one of the most challenging things for me to visualize and put into narrative.  This is one of the slower moments of the story, and finding the right balance between pacing and a satisfying portrayal of the event was a source of much head-banging on my keyboard.  I felt that putting Lucca in the same boat as Crono, at least as far as the kidnapping charge is concerned, was key to making the scene work.  (That was inspired by a piece of fan-art that had Lucca cry “Objection!” at the top of her lungs a-la Phoenix Wright.)  Showing the trial from Princess Nadia's perspective also was very helpful, and not something that most people would expect since Nadia was not present at the trial in the original game.  You will find numerous surprises in the new material, including the origins of the name “Marle”, as well as a couple of hints of what I intend to do regarding the characters of Chrono Cross.  I can already hear the “That's not canon!” complaints on that score.  Just understand that I have thought this through to some extent, and keep an open mind.  Remember that this is a remake more than a rehash.

Unlike my previous updates, and on the advice from some of you, I have decided to post the entirety of what I have written to date in a single pdf file.  The first 13 chapters have been given a much needed re-edit, resulting in hundreds of minor corrections and clarifications.  Most important was the resolving of a plot hole regarding Queen Leene's captivity and Yakra's original plans for her, which I should have caught a long time ago.  This is no small piece of fan-fiction, and I hesitate to even call it that since I've put my very best effort into it.  It totals 241 pages of single-spaced material across 17 chapters.  It covers all of the events between the Millennial Fair and the moment that Crono, Marle, and Lucca escape from Guardia Castle and enter the temporal gate to the ruined future.  For those that want to skip straight to the new material, it begins on page 186.

This represents somewhere between the ¼ and 1/3rd point of book one in a four volume series.  Having this much published material is a big moment for me, so I greatly value any feedback the community can give me.

Happy belated new year, and happy reading!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: Episode 1 - Part 1 January 2014 update
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »
Looks like I have some catching up to do. I'll be sure to give this a thorough reading, but it might take me some time (I've been really getting into another book...).

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:03 am »
There is a minor issue with Chapter 13 that I need to address.  I failed to note that when Lucca gives Princess Nadia's pendant back, it should be glowing because of its proximity to the temporal gate, as seen in chapters 3 and 17.  I made the following additions to page 180 to correct the issue: (new material in italics)

-------
Lucca shrugged.  “Yeah.  I didn't want to risk showing you in the middle-ages.  People might have mistaken it for the Star of Guardia in that time and had us arrested for its theft.”  She sniffed with irony.  “Besides, it's the most important component of the Chrono Trigger.  Without that, my invention would just be a useless hunk of metal.  It really is an extraordinary artifact.”

Crono and Nadia both looked at the pendant in wonder as it lie face-up in the Princess' hands.  It was glowing intensely from within, throwing out enough azure shine to paint the surrounding oaks in a cobalt hue.  Nadia looked at Lucca with reserved gratitude and not a little bafflement.

“Why is it glowing?” she asked.

“Oh, that's just temporary,” Lucca assured her.  “It's been doing that ever since the Telepod accident.  It glows whenever there's a temporal gate close.  Take the pendant out of Leene Square, and it should return to normal.  As normal as such a thing can be, anyway.”

“But, what about your invention?”

“It's okay,” Lucca laughed.  “It's not like I was planning to use it again, anyway.  Time-travel is much too dangerous, not to mention exhausting!”
-------

For archival purposes, I'm resubmitting the corrected draft so everyone has the most up-to-date version.  I won't do these kind of "patch" revisions often, unless someone notices a major mistake or omission that needs to be addressed.  By all means, point out smaller goofs if you find them and I'll take care of those in the next big update.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:06:42 am »
do you want phone lucca? 10.

do you want phone crono? 01.
and do you want phone Cloud?10=0.

do you want phone megaman's future?

Okay...  You have well and totally lost me.

Leo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:04:10 am »
Oh, I'm so happy. I read it when you first posted it and I fell in love with your work. I'm so glad you are still writing it!

I've always hoped to read a full novelisation, but the guy who writes Sands of Time on fanfiction.net stopped.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:05:49 am by Leo »

nommet

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:57:58 am »
i get a 404 error when i try to open that pdf. it's a shame because awhile ago i read everything up until this thread and i'm a huge fan. can anybody help me out?

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:47:28 pm »
Well that's odd.  Let me try re-upping the file and see what happens.

---

---

---

Ugh, it won't let me re-up.  Says the file size is too big.  That makes no sense, as the file is unchanged since January.  I'll alert Ramsus and see if he can do something.