Author Topic: Material Requiring Translation  (Read 48194 times)

Sauzer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Material Requiring Translation
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:25 pm »
I spent the afternoon doing a scanlation of the first Gate (so the first 6 or so pages) of the Nuumamonja manga.  The text is not that hard to translate but the labor of whiting out and formatting is a lot more than I expected.  I am looking at this as a learning experience (my Japanese is ~N2 at best), so I have no problem with doing this as a long-termish project (MAYBE a page or two a day).  Before that though, I just wanted to clarify - nobody else has done/is doing this, right?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »
Yeah, no one's touched Nuumamonja. Glad to have you aboard!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2013, 01:21:00 pm »
I'm removing this from the to-do list:

===Chrono Trigger (DS)===

<pre>・光田康典(サウンドディレクター)

(要約)

今回のお話を聞いたとき、「やっと来た!」という感じでしたね(笑)
もちろん自分のデビュー作であるといったこともありますが、今プレイしても非常にクオリティの高い作品
ですし、内容の深いゲームです。だから、今の子供達に遊んでもらったらどんな風に感じるのか、
実は気になっていたのです。そうした意味で、本当に嬉しいニュースでしたね。

スーパーファミコン版制作当時は、数えきれないほどの想い出が甦ってきます。
ずっと曲が書けずにスランプに陥ったり、胃潰瘍で病院に通いながら仕事したり、ハードディスクが
急に壊れて40曲近くのスケッチがなくなったり…あ!ネガティブなことしか思い出さないですね(笑)
でも、最後に開発者全員が集まってエンディングを観たときはさすがに泣いてしまいました。僕の他にも
感極まっていたスタッフもたくさんいましたね。そんな開発者の想いがたくさん詰まったゲームなんだな、と
思います。

今回のニンテンドーDS版では、スーパーファミコン版の音をできるだけ再現するように作ってもらいました
ので、きっと満足して頂けると思います。初めてプレイされる方も、当時を振り返りながらプレイされる方も、
ぜひ楽しんで頂けたらと思います。

(2008)</pre>
~

This has already been translated: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/July_2008_Weekly_Famitsu_Interview_with_Yasunori_Mitsuda.html

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »
He lost over 40 WIP tracks? No wonder he was so stressed. But thinking about those tracks, Chrono Trigger could have turned out sounding very differently.

Sauzer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 08:15:39 pm »
I spent the afternoon doing a scanlation of the first Gate (so the first 6 or so pages) of the Nuumamonja manga.  The text is not that hard to translate but the labor of whiting out and formatting is a lot more than I expected.  I am looking at this as a learning experience (my Japanese is ~N2 at best), so I have no problem with doing this as a long-termish project (MAYBE a page or two a day).  Before that though, I just wanted to clarify - nobody else has done/is doing this, right?
Literally a year later so I figure I owe a post.  In the long tradition of internet fan translations, this has taken a lot longer than I expected.  The translation is actually long done - it's the actual image-editing which I have yet to finish.  The reason for that is primarily one of motivation, as image fiddling is tedious compared to reading.  I have a newfound respect for the scanlation teams that pump these things out in days and weeks.  Still, I wanna finish this one myself.

Gotta say in advance though, the relevance to Chrono scholars is probably nil.  I do however really wish this story were the canon because it's hilarious.

e: I am now seeing somebody has already done up through gate 3?  Yikes, that stinks.  I wouldn't have bothered had I known.  :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:24:12 pm by Sauzer »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »
These things take time, so no worries. Did you have just the first Gate translated?

Maybe someone else can volunteer to do the image editing if you don't feel up to it?

Sauzer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2014, 01:54:07 pm »
Perhaps - before I trailed off I had already done about a third of the pages completely, and it's not really THAT time-consuming.

Problem with just giving it up to someone else now is I actually have already spent the time to pre-blank every page and the resulting photoshop work files are like 700MB total, haha. 

I'm going at a good clip again so I really would like to just go ahead, but if I find myself slipping I'll just upload what I have done and let someone else finish adding in the script.

Reld

• Guru of Time
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2020, 12:17:01 am »
Not sure if this is really the right place to post this, but I tried translating the two Next Gate Part 8 pages with all of the prototype screenshots. http://imgbox.com/1Zxw9rRW

I don't really know much Japanese, so it's pretty much just a machine translation. I used DeepL (which gives surprisingly good results) and cross-referenced with Google Translate. I don't think there's really any new info here, but I'm fascinated by all of these old shots so I wanted to see what the text said about them.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2020, 08:36:31 am »
Oh wow, Reld! What a find -- and thank you for not only sharing and translating!!!

Also, welcome to the Chrono Compendium. Or as we say in these parts, welcome tot he party!

Reld

• Guru of Time
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2020, 10:43:31 am »
Thanks, Boo. Just to clarify though, I can't take credit for the find. The untranslated pages are already on the Material Requiring Translation page under "V-Jump Magazines". They are curiously missing from the Chrono Trigger OAV Manga page though. These are Part 8/February 1996.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2020, 03:13:28 pm »
Has the Material Requiring Translation page been updated in a while?