Author Topic: Reverse Design: Chrono Trigger is complete, and now public!  (Read 1427 times)

TGDF

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Hey Chrono Compendium!

We talked about our project to reverse engineer all the design decisions that went into CT a few months ago, and now Reverse Design: Chrono Trigger is finished!  You can check out the web version here: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_CT_1.html and you can preview the very sleek (and affordable) ebook version here: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_CT_ebook.html

Thanks so much for your support!

The Game Design Forum Staff

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Design: Chrono Trigger is complete, and now public!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:44 pm »
This is fascinating, thanks so much for your analysis TGDF team!

I wonder how many of these details were actually laid out in Chrono Trigger's design document, and how many things just took shape by chance during the production.

Nangbaby

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:39:48 am »
I read it and what a wonderful analysis of the design that made up Chrono Trigger.  I never realized how much the first half of the game was steeped in an illusion of choice, because I was overwhelmed by the number of choices that were available.

However, I would argue that the game itself undercuts is own inevitability in the Tragedy of the Entity with the idea of a New Game +.  While it is outside of the main gameplay, some of the endings offer breakpoints which indicate that the party's actions (or lack thereof) did have an impact, or at worst, had an impact and which was subsequently undone by the party.

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:35:32 pm »
mind is blown, especially with dividing it into 2. didn't realize how little an effect the first 12 quests are so actually have on the present and future. Also, I don't think I ever knew about the hidden room in ozzie's fort lol. I enjoyed the analysis of zeal, so spot on, especially the point of elaborate walls, doors, even making a soft golden glow from the windows. had not realized there was no dungeon in the zeal quest either lol. Wow CT really broke some ground, especially looking at the zelda paradigm and amplitude charts. You analysis of uematsu vs mitsuda's general outlook on music for games was more enlightening than anything. Finally went through FF6 too!

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:10:42 pm by Synchronization »

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 03:40:27 pm »
not sure I follow to be honest.....

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:10:01 pm by Synchronization »

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:29:29 pm »
I don't need a memory refresher, what does it mean? The only thing I can think of is the crono clone you are misconstruing as a puppet and wondering if it has a mom, other than that I've really no clue.

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »
Very cool info ! I would have liked to have more analysis on Schala though.

I think her "death" after Ocean Palace makes tragedy - the loss of Crono - even worse. I really had a sentiment of failure when I played. Big time. It was even better at my second playthrough because I knew Magus spent his whole life for this instant of failure : Schala sacrificing herself at the Ocean Palace so the party - and Magus - could be safe. Her last words :

"I know you can't forgive her but...please don't hate mother, or our kingdom."

While the palace collapses all around her, she only cares about others.

Later, when you revive Crono at Death Peak, Magus's silent "..." when he fixes the ground says a lot.

Lubdar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:20 pm »
that was insightful

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 06:08:40 am »
I know I'm late to the party, but: This is fascinating stuff. Some of the best game analysis I've read in a while. Good job, TGDF!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:11:45 am by gatotsu911 »

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 06:11:15 am »
However, I would argue that the game itself undercuts is own inevitability in the Tragedy of the Entity with the idea of a New Game +.  While it is outside of the main gameplay, some of the endings offer breakpoints which indicate that the party's actions (or lack thereof) did have an impact, or at worst, had an impact and which was subsequently undone by the party.
Definitely agree with this. The New Game+ feature is actually vital to the game's central theme and absolutely should be considered when analyzing it.

Edwardlal

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Consumer Report
Consumer Reports
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:40:43 am »
The last guest remaining is declared the winner of the game. This gallery shows various pieces from the Royal Collection including famous works by Leonardo and Vermeer. choose your office chair wisely. willing to sell the family home. People purchase music boxes today not to replace their mp3 players and Ipods. Moreover, when you apply online for credit card, your details can smoothly flow into the database of the credit card supplier i. For example, when an event is sponsored by a corporation, the charity wouldnít have to worry how to provide the food and drinks needed since it would be covered by the sponsorís funding. soon became dominant cars world wide.  If you opted for basketball ankle braces over tapes, the next thing that you should decide on is where to buy them. In fact, I have started a growing collection of caricatures.   
 Vaccination Is Not Immunization - Vaccine Risks Exposed
E-mini Trading Course
5 Day Detox - Detox With Drew
Make $208 Dollars A Day Online
Edit in JSFiddle Result Result us Edit in JSFiddle Result Result

In the event that an accident does occur, you will want someone there to assist you. For general holiday gift, the item should appeal to the general recipient. After counting 23 faked orgasms performed by Summer in Love to Love You Baby, the British Broadcasting Corporation banned the song.   
 http://jsfiddle.net/195s627s/show
http://jsfiddle.net/n0qf4d0r/show
http://jsfiddle.net/ac8g7L39/show

This will protect both you and your blanket of debris. In most business planning, a good part of the yearly budget allocation goes to the powering up of machineries and to vehicles for the distribution of goods and materials. http://www.   
Rocket Spanish! CBs No.1 learn Spanish Product!
Edit in JSFiddle Result Result Recommended Web site Edit in JSFiddle Result Result
Edit in JSFiddle Result Result click to read Edit in JSFiddle Result Result

There is never any shame in walking the areas of. It will also do you good if you will choose a person who has a good background. Effective sunglasses will have proper UV protection. Jack O'Neill on the series) was honored by U. You should remember that there is always hope in contradiction, for we are naturally contradictory creatures. This would be the next thing after warming up. This book can help you to decorate your cake in a professional manner. to their parachute pack thingy and then afterwards the.  So eating right will help. The incident was recorded by the hospitalís camera.   

Other links:
http://propovedi.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=492&p=4875#p4875

found here
Bust Boosting Solution ~ Natural Breast Enhancement ~ 75%!

AndrewBoop

• View Profile
Buy Ciloxan Without Prescription. Ciloxan Online No Prescription
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:43:27 pm »

4/4/2014  Kevin Williams was searching for  ciloxan buy online

223546 people like`s it!

Looking for buy ciloxan? Not a problem! Click Here  ciloxan buy online

ciloxan eye drops cost
ciloxan 0.3 eye drops for ear infection
ciloxan 0.3 eye drops price
ciloxan eye drops spc
ciloxan eye drops side effects
can ciloxan eye drops be used in ears
ciloxan eye drops wiki
what are ciloxan eye drops used for
ciloxan eye drops for dogs
buy ciloxan

Charlesea

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Best Prices
Consumer Guide
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 11:09:33 pm »
We have to accept the fact that the grocery industry is a host of contradiction in that it sells both dietary products along side the very products that cause us to be overweight or obese in the first instance. offer on-demand entertainment. and specify each with an expected completion date. To make the decision simpler there are now a number of multi vitamin supplements created for specific people.   The known brands for this purpose are Haldol, Zyprexa and Risperdal. condemned through a singer who also dances. Sometimes, opportunities can be found overseas. Not as much as one would think.  If you are one such individual, there is a musician resource that you may have overlooked: the Internet. This gives an attraction to foreign environments or experimental life-styles.   
 click here now
How To Start A Lawn Care Business
The Breakup Cure - Over $400,000 In Testing On Paid Traffic
Auto Submit To 4500+ Websites
Auto Submit To 4500+

may take some time or even overnight. Itís tricky, but learn about SEO. So you have to pony up to the extra bill barÖbut what do you get for your extra dough.   
 http://jsfiddle.net/wLgy21js/show
http://jsfiddle.net/vuL8ck7k/show
http://jsfiddle.net/4p1caxry/show

Who knows, one day you may be gluing old clock parts to a worn out straw hat as a personal commentary on time. There are religions which advocate the use of meditation to reach enlightenment. The tactics given above does not really sound very difficult to do, if you think about it.   
Total Soccer Confidence
Click That Link
Dumbbell Routines & Exercises

The cords and cables for all the various components inevitably become a tangled, jumbled mess, making it nearly impossible to change the configuration of your system or any of the components. worry about missing those great photo opportunities. Often you either won't be able too afford all the dvds and games that you want, or you may want to try them out before you buy. During the consultation, youíll take a few x-rays that will let the surgeon know how bad your wisdom teeth are. She's not expected to live through the weekend. There will also be lots of patterns available for this kind of embroidery craft. You will get medicine and even some advice to help you control this nuisance. Don't forget to follow instructions given to you in using the tanning booths.   

Other links:
http://1forum.rv.ua/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=300864

visit this link
Insomnio Nunca Mas Alivio Real Esta Misma