Author Topic: Defeat Cyrus?  (Read 5664 times)

PaulLuigi

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Defeat Cyrus?
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:00:06 pm »
In the Son of the Sons Challenge thread, V_Translanka posted that there are at least two techs that damage Cyrus:

You can deal damage to Cyrus' Ghost though...It just has to be non-Elemental (of which there's only a couple Techs like Poyozo Dance for instance)...

Looks like it might be just Poyozo Dance & Ayla's Tail Spin.

Is it possible to defeat Cyrus with these techs?  With a magic defence of 100 and the battle ending automatically after a short time, I'm skeptical, but if it's possible I'm starting a new game+ and going directly for it.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
Re: Defeat Cyrus?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:08:30 pm »
If I had to guess, I'd say "beating" him would just skip it right to the same result you get after waiting around for a while.  Other "undefeatable" enemies in the game, such as the battle with Ozzie in Magus' castle, do not really show any special result when you defeat them.  I had Robo crush Ozzie in one move with the Armageddon Arm, and it merely made it so I couldn't select Ozzie as a target on any of my character's turns after that; I could only attack the cranks.  Then again, that situation is probably different, since there were other targets to hit in that battle, whereas in the Cyrus battle, there is only Cyrus.  I think you should go for it.  Let us know how it turns out!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:10:05 pm »
Well, for maximum damage from Tail Spin...(Lv + Mag) × 16.5...so level Ayla out & pop a few Magic Tabs in her (maybe Prism Specs too?)...He's only got 2000 HP.

PaulLuigi

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:46:24 pm »
Where did you find this data for the tech damage?  Is it posted somewhere on this site?

Well, for maximum damage from Tail Spin...(Lv + Mag) × 16.5...so level Ayla out & pop a few Magic Tabs in her (maybe Prism Specs too?)...He's only got 2000 HP.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:14:49 am »
someone outta record their findings

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:09:47 am »
I'll do it once I reach that point. I've just beaten Zombor, and getting ready to ascend the Denadoro Mountains.

PaulLuigi

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:32:00 pm »
good, I'm glad someone else is doing it with me.  hopefully one of us can figure it out!

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:40:37 pm »
Happy to assist. :)

idioticidioms

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:03 pm »
I've beaten Cyrus's ghost before using one of the Techs that damages him. the battle ends, giving you very little exp and gold and he comes back the next time you visit.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:45:40 pm »
Does he "die" or do you get some EXP/G and then the post-battle scene?

idioticidioms

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 09:47:19 pm »
It's been a while, but I believe you get the exp/g and then an after-battle scene where he's still there and you leave the castle.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 09:50:29 pm »
Hmm... I'll take a look at that when I fight him.

PaulLuigi

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:13:37 am »
I've beaten Cyrus's ghost before using one of the Techs that damages him. the battle ends, giving you very little exp and gold and he comes back the next time you visit.

Man that's awesome!  You've got to tell me how!

I just tried for a while and couldn't do it.  The problem is that you can attack him exactly 6 times before the battle ends, and you need to take down all 2000 life.  No matter how much I beef up my party, I can't get the damage from a single attack to be over ~250.  If I had 8 rounds, I could probably do it, but right now, the math just doesn't work out.  I'll post a full analysis soon, assuming no one figures it out before then.

Were you on SNES or DS version?  (I'm on DS)

idioticidioms

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 05:00:27 am »
SNES. It's been a while since I tried killing the ghost, so I might not have actually gotten it all the way down to 0. All I really remember is doing damage to it, and then the fight ending. God you guys are just tearing my memories to shreds, lol.  I think one of Glenn's swords, damages it, too. I'm not certain on that, though.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:38 am »
Either Poyozo Dance or Tail Spin will damage him, and try to do 2000 damage before the battle ends.