Author Topic: CT+ Demo 2 "Eternal End" / Bug Report Thread  (Read 14248 times)

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
CT+ Demo 2 "Eternal End" / Bug Report Thread
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:45:54 pm »
Copied from "Unofficial" TF Exports Thread...

Zakyrus...

At long last the CT+ Demo2 is here!!

Things to note:
This hack is HUGE. So huge that for now it is spanned across 2 roms. The included PlayOrder.txt will explain how that works. In addition, there is a big in-game reminder of when to load ROM2.

This is still quite buggy in a few places, Glennleo and I are still going over it. Don't be surprised if you find text corruption or a black screen of impending demise somewhere. So save quite often. I apologize if there's any point where you become stuck and cannot continue... though I haven't come across anything like this yet.

Also, when in the Ocean Palace keep in mind that the "Zeal Mages" can freeze the game when they use their "Lock Tech" move. I can't figure this out as to why this occurs yet, so be aware.

I WILL be making a follow-up update that I will release in the coming weeks, so that any thing that I find will be patched.
But for now... courage.

Here you are!!

Chrono Trigger + Demo 2 Alpha Release

LAST MINUTE EDIT: Here's a free wallpaper made by BROJ to promote CT+ Demo 2! Enjoy guys!!!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 05:30:38 pm by Glennleo »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
Re: CT+ Demo 2 "Eternal End" / Bug Report Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 05:47:56 pm »
More notes from Zakyrus, copied from the "Unofficial" TF Exports Thread...

Hi.

ChronoTrigger+ Demo2: Codenamed "Eternal End"

I am glad to be able to make this post and inform you that the CT+ demo2 goes very well.... even though it appears like I have disappeared from this reality for some time. Sorry to everyone for the delay! (I seem to be cursed with absence from this forum.)

My absence from this forum has not been in vain! Demo2 will be released to the public within the next 24 hours! You'll all be glad to know that the game will have MUCH more enriched content than EVER before! YOU ARE ALL IN FOR A TREAT! I can say without ego that THIS may be the best Chrono Trigger patch EVER!! ...aside from total conversions such as Crimson Echoes...(which totally RULES!!)

I WOULD have demo2 done and released by now if it weren't for some EVIL, EVIL bugs that keep happening.(some taking as many as 20-30 hours to figure out and fix...I wish I was joking) Not only that but the million set-backs that real life can have. I know this demo has been pushed back many numerous times.

HOWEVER, all things worth having, require much patience.
But also remember, I am the only person that is doing cut scene development and event coding. (and I want it that way, for now)

I would estimate that about 5 hours extra are added. This GREATLY  depends on how fast you play through the game. For instance, if you rush through, you will probably get to Lavos around the same playtime as normally. I noted that on a brand New Game, it took me a total of XXXX hours to get/do everything.
Therefore, take your time, don't rush... I know all of you are excited to see what I have in store in the second half of the game... Heh heh. Wink ...and I got a plethora of new cut scenes... BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS, don't rush... you want to enjoy it eh?

Some features include: Enhanced Cut scenes, NPCs, New Bosses, Cut scenes depending on current party, hidden treasures stashed all over, rebalanced enemy stats (yet again!), and ALOT more!

So... until the CT+ demo2 release, enjoy some more various spiteful screen shots! I had about 100 screen shots I wanted to put up, but of course had to limit them down to a few ;p

...Characters elaborate on the current situation more...
for instance, Lucca talks alot more of various Quantum
Physics theories and such.

(Myself being fascinated with anything quantum, just had to add alot of it to the discussion in the game. There are some parts where Lucca may spin circles around you! All my fellow eggheads rejoice!)

PC to NPC interaction!

Most all of the NPCs upgrade their dialog as storyline pointers increase! The NPCs now react as the world around the changes! Only on a basic level for now, a more complex NPC interaction will be coded later! In some cases, the NPCs weren't enhanced due to some bugs that the particular location event file had.

New Cutscenes!

Special Cutscenes depending on WHO is in your party!

In the above shot, Marle or Lucca will question if Robo can go into water. If Robo isn't present, this cut is never seen. By creating
variations of cutscenes depending on the current party, we can then have a plethora of more storyline tangents! (thus creating MANY, MANY more possible ways to play through the game...1337)

Another example, is Ozzie's Fortress. Depending on if Magus is in your party, Frog is in your party, neither are in your party, or BOTH Magus and Frog are in your party will depend on the dialog shown!
Though the latter is simply hilarious. Dynamic party cut scenes! How utterly awesome! In demo3, I hope to have dynamic cutscenes for all storyline events like this.

Scenes that the Square designers should have left in!

Kino and the Gate Key

...AND New Insidious Puzzles such as the Manorial Organ!

You REALLY didn't think I was going to make this game EASIER did you?! Twisted Evil AHA HA HA HA HA! (visualize a few continuous pages evil laughter)

I don't want to give anything else away, but I will say that the side quests have been massively enriched. Particularly, extended scenes in Fiona's Forest and the Rainbow Shell Quest.

...and a FU**LOAD more of genuine CT content!

So much has been coded and tweaked that even a "Chrono Trigger Addict" will barely notice ALL of the enhancements! (unless you're like me and have gone through the game 60+ times) In fact, over time I have enhanced so many subtle things that I went back and played the original Chrono Trigger and was shocked on how "empty" it felt. Laughing

REMEMBER, like demo1 this IS in fact a DEMO, don't try to compare this to a completed hack... though I WILL say that what is there is VASTLY improved from demo1. (demo1 was actually laughable compared to this)
Though, keep in mind that some stuff is still somewhat buggy.

I will note that some of the cutscenes that aren't enhanced:

Last Village: "The Dark Day After Part2"
- after meeting/defeating Magus and going back to the Empty Hut
~this wasn't totally finished due to horribly insidious bugs.

Death Peak
This is totally absent due to some coding issues...

Atropos/Robo Origins
This was a 10-minute long cut that Kyronea came up with, due to lack of
time I didn't get it added in this demo.

"Moonlight Parade Ending"
- this was kind of thrown together so animations and such are really limited

There are a few others here and there, but those are only the major ones. All other cutscenes not mentioned are at a 90% completed status.
(90% meaning I still need to add/fix animations as well as add sound/special FX)

HOWEVER, once again I WILL say that this is PACKED with alot of new material. I bet you'll get to the end of the game and think "I didn't think it was going to be THAT damn good!" I promise you AT LEAST that. Smile

Final notes:

This mod is rated "Mature" for restored swearing, drug references (sake instead of soup and soda), and some very subtle sexual references. (and I mean VERY light) Laughing

~Thanks for being patient & understanding everyone!

With that said and done, I can prepare the launch of demo2 and get ready to start working on demo3 (codenamed: "Fury of the Ages")
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:50:06 pm by Glennleo »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 05:55:35 pm »
OK!!! So there it is!

Get playing the demo guys and post any and all bugs/glitches/problems you encounter while playing this epic expansion of Chrono Trigger!!!

I'll keep this post updated, and organized the best I can while Zakyrus is away, but fear not!
He will return in a week or two to release yet another, "Un-bugified" version of this demo, with even more content!!!!
Unreal!!! Does he ever sleep?!!

Anyways, I'll get things started with the bugs I have found in a little bit.

Try not to post multiple bugs, if it can be helped.
So try to skim over other players posts, before posting the bugs you may have found.
Screen caps are always appreciated when reporting bugs, and make sure to read his FAQ/README of issues we already are aware of.

With that take care everyone, and I hope you all enjoy playing this expanded version of Chrono Trigger!!!

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 06:04:27 pm »
I'll keep this post updated, and organized the best I can while Zakyrus is away, but fear not!
He will return in a week or two to release yet another, "Un-bugified" version of this demo, with even more content!!!! Unreal!!!

Well said, Glennleo!  8)

Does he ever sleep?!!

That one is questionable. My main modding times are 1 to 6 am.  :D
You can definately tell I don't have a love life. Ha ha ha!  :P

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 06:10:28 pm »
Also, when in the Ocean Palace keep in mind that the "Zeal Mages" can freeze the game when they use their "Lock Tech" move.

This sounds like something I encountered in the Retranslation. If you edited the monster list in Temporal Flux 2.55 or earlier, it wrote to some null values at the end that cause freezing problems in battles. Try editing the monster name list with the latest version and see if that fixes it.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 06:14:26 pm »
Also, when in the Ocean Palace keep in mind that the "Zeal Mages" can freeze the game when they use their "Lock Tech" move.

This sounds like something I encountered in the Retranslation. If you edited the monster list in Temporal Flux 2.55 or earlier, it wrote to some null values at the end that cause freezing problems in battles. Try editing the monster name list with the latest version and see if that fixes it.

I'm also thinking that's what happened. I'll try that. (hopefully it works) :lol:

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 06:21:12 pm »
Out of curiosity, how big are the ROMs for this?

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 06:23:41 pm »

6-megs a piece. ...and only because I didn't want to 'risk' overwrite corruption. By demo3, we hope to have it down to one 8-meg ROM. ...but currently ZSNES has not added 8-Meg support yet.

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 06:32:21 pm »

6-megs a piece. ...and only because I didn't want to 'risk' overwrite corruption. By demo3, we hope to have it down to one 8-meg ROM. ...but currently ZSNES has not added 8-Meg support yet.
/smack ZSNES

(I was checking what the system limits for an SNES were around the same time I asked this - it's just shy of 15MB for the cartridge, so if you were able, in some manner, to test it on a real SNES, the whole thing would work as a single 96Mbit cartridge, theoretically with no problems. :D)

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 06:38:07 pm »
Whoops. We are going off topic already. We should try to keep this topic for bugs only.

To discuss other aspects of this project, use this forum here:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,3823.0.html

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:13:58 pm »
Eh, you guys aren't horribly off topic, but yea bugs and questions pertaining to the hack game play itself are what this thread is all about.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 08:41:16 pm »
10 min of playing nothing wrong that I see.

Minor bugs:

*The Porre Mayors and is wife are glowing(story or bug?)

*Isn't the piano at truce inn supposed to play?

*Text garbal with skill teacher at mayors house.

*Tent of horrors wouldn't accept my silver points, I had 25 and selected the 10 point option.

*During a fight w/3 blue eaglets in 600A.D. forest, when I killed the farthest left they all "died" but battle screen resumed. Chrono then became confused and the monsters kept going. even though they all just died.

*all houses in 600 A.D. give me the black screen of death.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:53:11 pm by Kebrel »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:16 pm »
Time for a Glennleo quick Bug Report...

Some may be similar or very close to repeats of what Kebrel said, but I have pics of most of them so I'll just post them anyways. Mwhahah, it's good to be the thread maker.

These are bugs I have found prior to entering the telepod.

Like Kebrel said this piano will not play, whether you pick sure or sorry.

These two NPCs glow as if they have slow cast on them. Hard to tell by the pics.  Not sure, like Kebrel said if it is a bug or part of the sun stone story. Even if it was part of the Sun Stone story, they shouldn't glow this early in the game.

Blank text boxes appears after talking to these NPCs. Nothing game breaking, but would be nice to fix for a nice aesthetic feel.

Both of these NPCs are partially inside their background graphic. Yet another aesthetic problem.

Black Jack is broken as far as I can tell. I once had a hand that said my first card was a 5, and the second a 4. That's 9 right? Well the game said I had 16. Weird, I need to test this game out more to see how broken it really is.

That's it for now. I'll keep pluggin away and I hope the rest of ya do too.

Slow and steady wins the race. Remember that.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:29:02 pm »
hmm the Blackjack works fine for me,except I got 21 four times in a row(J10,A10,10A,K10). never counted wrong though.

I do have the worst luck with roms, every time I enter a house in 600A.D. it just goes black(guard at the castle says go to the inn), I had the similar issue with the retranslation, I am going to patch a different CT rom to see if it helps.

EDIT: Then new rom works much better.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:27:05 pm by Kebrel »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 10:12:12 pm »
hmm the Blackjack works fine for me,except I got 21 four times in a row(J10,A10,10A,K10). never counted wrong though.

I do have the worst luck with roms, every time I enter a house in 600A.D. it just goes black(guard at the castle says go to the inn), I had the similar issue with the retranslation, I am going to patch a different CT rom to see if it helps.

OK. I'll try Black Jack again tonight sometime and post my findings. I'll also go through the telepod scene, and check out the houses in 600 A.D to see if it is your ROM or the hack.

It seems it's just you and I testing for now. Unless a lot of people are playing it and not posting >.>.
Thanks Kebrel all the same.