Author Topic: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures  (Read 23330 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2007, 02:59:23 am »
Argh, it's another post with no good news for cracking the file structure.

Anyway, I think I got the room modifier working. The results I'm getting don't correspond to that weird guy's notes, but oh well. I contacted the guy who hacked the code on the GSHI forum to see if he remembered any extra information.

Hopefully I'll find a debug room or something.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2007, 01:01:29 pm »
 :shock:

And so you did. Self-fulfilling prophecy time!

In a moment of beautiful, beautiful mental clarity, I re-discovered a .zip file called "cctools" that's been sitting in a folder on my desktop since two days ago. It has a .txt file called "Main Disk Dump"!! :shock: :shock:

It says: "Dump the complete content of Chrono Chross CD1/CD2 US and Japanese version"

Then it's got a bunch of Computer Science speak, and I'm an economist, so --

I'm attaching the .txt to this post b/c I'd like some confirmation as to whether the code contained within is C/C++ and if anyone knows of a good compiler if that's the case. This might just save us a lot of work!

EDIT: Actually, its a .CCP file, not txt. And if it works, we owe it to the great Yazoo, wherever he is.

EDIT: Oh, it is C/C++, I think. Anyone know of an appropriate compiler for the code contained within?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:10:16 pm by FaustWolf »

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2007, 01:33:12 pm »
I am pretty well versed in C/C++, so I downloaded cctools from romhacking.net and have been trying to compile it in Visual Studio for ~15 minutes without success. It looks like someone will need to go through and clean up the code first, which I will try to work on when I can. Even if we can't get it compiled, there may still be useful information about the structure of the ISO in the cctools source code that we can exploit.

If you want to try it, there are two free IDEs/compilers I can suggest: Dev-C++ and MS Visual Studio Express.

Ramsus

« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2007, 01:36:51 pm »
I made a few minor edits so it uses the "chrono.iso" file in the same folder that you run the program and places the dumped output there too... OR you can also run it from the commandline with the filename of the ISO image as the first argument.

Other than that, I only skimmed the source, but it should make a bunch of folders containing numbered ".out" files from the files in the ISO along with an index file.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2007, 01:47:53 pm »
Thanks for compiling! I'm trying it out now, Ramsus. Tells me I've got an invalid iso file, so I'll try re-ripping and see if the results are different.

I'm attaching other tools that look interesting; decompression routines and such that Yazoo apparently used. These will come in handy for viewing a lot of the files. Maybe you and Luminaire can take a look at the code in these as well?

EDIT: My guess is it's the way I ripped my iso. I'll try various methods till something works.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:51:22 pm by FaustWolf »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2007, 02:01:25 pm »
It's still dumping. Interestingly, I fed a .bin rip into it and not an .iso rip, and it worked. BUT - we'll still have to see if the files are viewable, or if I did a bad thing. I'll attach examples of each file type here once it stops.

EDIT: Blarrgh, I've no clue where all the output went. Anyone else willing to give it a try? I'm using Ramsus' modified code attached to his post.

EDIT: I see I've got 336 bytes of .OUT files sitting on my C:\ drive. When I open them up, they tell me:

"It's CDMAKE, Dummy !"

Gee, thanks, Yazoo. :lol:

Anyone have an idea as to how it's supposed to work? I'm attaching the entire cctools for people to view; keep in mind Ramsus has compiled a modified version of the dumper.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:09:52 pm by FaustWolf »

Ramsus

« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2007, 02:12:03 pm »
If you ran it in the C drive, then it's probably in c:\disk1 or just in c:\. Sorry about that.

Anyway, here's an update with source.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2007, 02:17:54 pm »
You da man, Ramsus. All I've got in that location are the .OUT files, but I'm going to try with a real .iso file this time and see if I get all the files.

Ramsus

« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2007, 02:18:49 pm »
It's still dumping. Interestingly, I fed a .bin rip into it and not an .iso rip, and it worked. BUT - we'll still have to see if the files are viewable, or if I did a bad thing. I'll attach examples of each file type here once it stops.

EDIT: Blarrgh, I've no clue where all the output went. Anyone else willing to give it a try? I'm using Ramsus' modified code attached to his post.

EDIT: I see I've got 336 bytes of .OUT files sitting on my C:\ drive. When I open them up, they tell me:

"It's CDMAKE, Dummy !"

Gee, thanks, Yazoo. :lol:

Anyone have an idea as to how it's supposed to work? I'm attaching the entire cctools for people to view; keep in mind Ramsus has compiled a modified version of the dumper.

What do you mean? That string isn't anywhere in the source, and it's probably not in the ISO.

Also, try converting it to an actual ISO image first. The code doesn't have a lot of error detection, so you could feed it anything about the right file size and it'll probably look like it's working until it's finished.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2007, 02:26:46 pm »
Still getting an invalid iso warning when I rip to iso. The corresponding C++ code is this, I think:

if (check_iso(f_iso)==1)
   {
      fclose(f_iso);
      printf("Warning:INVALID CHRONO CROSS ISO FILE!!!\n");
      printf("Make sure you are using a Genuine Chrono Cross CD1 iso.");
   }

Does the (check_iso(f_iso)==1) argument tell me anything about what the expected iso should look like, Ramsus?

Ramsus

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2007, 02:37:28 pm »
It should be 736651104 bytes long. What's it say when you run the program?

EDIT: And yes, it's just a length check.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2007, 02:41:22 pm »
My iso is 641,437,696 bytes in length. When I rip it to .bin, I get the right size (736,651,104 bytes) though and it goes through - it's just that it doesn't produce any files other than the .OUTs in C:\Disk 1

I'm running it on my .bin again to double-check, and it says things like "dumped file number yyyy", so it should be producing the files, no? Maybe they're getting stuck somewhere else on my PC other than C:\Disk 1?

Oh, and I'll try converting my .bin to iso once that's done. Is there a certain program you'd recommend for that, or should I just rename it to a .iso extension?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:47:45 pm by FaustWolf »

Ramsus

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2007, 02:46:02 pm »
Delete those and try running the new dump.exe in the latest attachment. It should create a subfolder in the current folder.

EDIT: And after you do that, post a random selection of the resulting .OUT files from different folders. Also report as to the complete file structure (i.e. does it make folders, what the filenames are, etc.) and look for a ".tbl" file and attach that too.

EDIT2: And if you can't find the output, make sure you've deleted all of the old stuff first, then use the Windows Search function for anything with a .OUT extension.

Also, file extensions don't matter to computers. The "BIN" you're using might actually be in the right format (i.e. it might be an ISO, or at least, the "ISO" Yazoo used), based on the size, but it's hard to say without checksums. Simply renaming it won't "convert" anything, and since the actual ISO you mentioned is the wrong size, we'll have to assume the BIN is probably what we want.

On a similar note, the program is supposed to produce ".OUT" files, but whether or not they have the right contents and what filetype they are is totally dependent on having the same exact input file that Yazoo used.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:56:37 pm by Ramsus »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2007, 02:52:05 pm »
Hm, the new dump.exe gets only so far before crashing; pic below.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3673/image1he6.gif

I'm a Windows XP, Service Pack 2 user BTW. That doesn't make a difference, does it?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:56:12 pm by FaustWolf »

Ramsus

« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2007, 02:59:44 pm »
Hm, the new dump.exe gets only so far before crashing; pic below.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3673/image1he6.gif

I'm a Windows XP, Service Pack 2 user BTW. That doesn't make a difference, does it?

Probably a buffer overflow with making the filename strings. Try this.

EDIT: Also, sorry to leave you hanging, but it's brunch time. If it still doesn't work, run the original working copy and analyze/post the results like I described in my previous post. When I come back, I'll try to figure it out.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 03:01:27 pm by Ramsus »