Author Topic: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures  (Read 21011 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Okay, Chrono Cross Textures
« on: October 10, 2007, 01:03:50 am »
Hallo alles! <- Me practicing German.

Just completed a dump of the Chrono Cross CD image and I believe I *might* have found a considerable number of textures stored as .bmp files. Take a gander at some of these:

Glenn's face.

Riddel's face.

Harle's face.

Lynx's Scythe, perhaps?

Komodo Dragon

Now I must ask the Chrono Community three questions:

1. Has anyone seen these before? Could anyone with some expertise confirm that these are, indeed, model textures?

2. Does anyone know how to view the file structure on the Chrono Cross CDs? These are all messed up because they were ripped from a .bin file of IsoBuster's creation, but they'd be clear as day if they could be ripped directly from the CD. If previous image ripping experience serves me correctly, that is.

3. Would these be useful in any way, say, for 3D modeling practice or re-creating the Chrono Cross models if someone could get their geometry separately?

I'm not sure that *all* Chrono Cross textures are this readily accessible. I haven't gotten anywhere close to sifting through all 6000+ images viewable in the ripped game image, but so far I've only found face and weapon textures as you see above along with what might be spell textures.

EDIT: Er, on second glance, maybe there's more than just faces in there. Is it possible that a character's entire model texture could fit in so small a space?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:07:05 am by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:14:52 pm »
1. Yes, I've gone through all of them before to try and find the blue-bodied, green-haired portrait at Lucca's manor which is partially obscured (and I couldn't find it on either disc).
2. No, we have no idea how to fix that stupid problem...it's a tragedy because there's actual beta art of certain characters on the Chrono Cross demo disc which can't be correctly ripped with all that junk in there. There's also these from the final:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,2359.0.html

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:08:50 pm »
Alot of those can be pieced together easily.  Just reverse the two in the row then reverse them 1 by 1, it should match up with the image pretty closely.  I'll do that right since I have nothing better to do :S

Edit; There are bits and pieces kinda missing because they're scrambled into something else, either that, or you have to move them up and down to fit in.

Edit 2: the weird letter looks like it says Pon7 or Pan7... cm7 You must come or You must room or something..Really hard to tell
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:13:58 pm by justin3009 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:51:36 pm »
But like the Frozen Flame in that other thread, the bottom's missing. I don't think all of the data is making it, or some of it is scrambled.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:01:43 pm »
Yea, some of it gets lost or it's placed into another area.  I'll post the unscrambled bits I got, it's really weird to setup..

Repost:  HEre's what I have.

Top left is a letter...obviously.  The next one i'm not so sure, maybe a door in Viper Manor or Fort DRagonia, then there's the area where I believe you get the corrupted Masamune.

Next is Frozen Flame, followed by a Swallow and then that stained glass window.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:46 pm »
Looks like "don't eat yed mushroom".

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:12:58 pm »
XD!  Now that you say it...it does

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 11:14:02 pm »
Is anyone familiar with a program called cutcut.exe made by an individual known as Audigy? It's supposed to get rid of junk data like what's plaguing these textures, but the only link to it I can find is long since broken.

Both IsoBuster and CDRWin are giving me this gobledegook. And PSicture apparently needs a visible file structure before it can scan an entire directory for image data.

Anyone know of a CD backup program that preserves the original CD's file structure? Might have more luck with something like that, perhaps, if it exists. It's probably possible to get textures via VRAM dumps as well, but that would just be a pain in the arse.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:51:46 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 11:58:53 pm »
Well, here's our progress before we stopped due to this problem:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,3872.15.html

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 01:29:12 am »

Are we in business?

I hope you like your .rar files big. 'Cuz there's way more than I expected in here.
{Upload Pending}

Though I'm not sure that this is everything in the game. I mean, does it look to you ladies and gents like all of Kidd and Riddel are actually in those teeny weenie squares? Upper half of them at most. Maybe the rest of 'em are tucked somewhere within the .rar's 9000 images.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:31:49 am by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 01:31:23 am »
No way; you solved that issue somehow without loss of image data? I mean, I can throw up the demo ISO again...

And I just can't figure out if it's all there myself. I scrolled through all...seven thousand, I think, textures on BOTH discs TWICE to try and find that blue portrait to see if it's Frog or something (or a Nu), and I couldn't locate it anywhere, even with the Lucca's orphanage textures (which did give me all the other portraits).

Somehow, Chrono'99 successfully ripped the character portraits and status screen art without that problem, and he wanted to try and remember how he did it before his computer problems began.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 01:35:28 am »
Heh heh. I just happened upon a feature in IsoBuster that says, like, "click me if you want to get clean iso data." I ripped the first CD as "content" instead of as an "image." Then I used PSicture as per usual.

I could rip the demo iso images real quick for ya tomorrow morning if you want to throw it up on rapidshare or some other place.

Here's the textures I've got:
http://rapidshare.com/files/61728893/CCTexFiles.rar.html

It'll be 110~130MB when it's uncompressed.
Oh, and this is only the first CD. I'd expect the second to have exactly the same stuff, but do you think there's anything different on #2, Zeality?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:45:10 am by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 02:59:57 am »
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

EXTREME PASSION OF YOUTH

It'll take a while to upload the ISO. Maybe it'll be done by late tomorrow. So you've ripped all seven thousand or so each, eh? This calls for some major analysis...oh, what a beautiful turn of events...

The second disc will have some duplicates, but also some different stuff. The hard part in both cases will be sifting through all the boring element effect textures.

ALL RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!! I must seem crazy for posts like this, but this is too awesome.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:02:27 am by ZeaLitY »

jono

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 03:10:07 am »
This is awesome, I can't wait to get my hands on a few of these textures :)

Fantastic work. I'll download as soon as I get a chance.

EDIT: Ahh, I can't seem to download, would it be ok if someone e-mailed this archive to me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:18:18 am by jono »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 10:32:11 am »
Let me get the second disc ripped, Jono, and then I'll throw it all onto MediaMax for you to download with a direct link. That should work. Zeality, did you have any problems with Rapidshare?

THE CHRONO COMMUNITY IS STILL IN THE SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH
MAY CHRONO LIVE ON FOREVER! HUZZAH!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:35:05 am by FaustWolf »