Author Topic: Acacia Dragoons...heretics?  (Read 1653 times)

Deus Chisa

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Ph'nglui mglwnafh Yukari Mayohiga wgah'nagl fthagn
    • View Profile
Acacia Dragoons...heretics?
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:51:44 am »
Well, I was reading Dante's Divine Comedy the other day, and one of the annotations referred to an "Acacian heresy."  Well, my Chrono senses started tingling, so I looked it up.  Apparently, Acacius was one of the Patriarchs of Constantiople, and in trying to forge a compromise between those who believed Christ was purely divine and the orthodox opinion that He was also human, he got himself excommunicated.  This led to a sizable schism in the Church thanks to a deacon named Photinus advising the Byzantine Emperor to go along with Acacius, although the heresy seems to have mutated into denying divine paternity for some reason.  Don't ask me, I'm no religious scholar.  Of course the Church gets angry and brands them heretics.  Eventually the Church won, but it was the first step toward the break between Orthodox and Catholic, or so the internet tells me.

Now, I see parallels here, but they might not be very good ones.  The first is the thing with Photinus and the Emperor paralleling Lynx's advice to General Viper regarding Serge and the Frozen Flame.  And since the goal of this is FATE regaining control with the Flame's power and becoming a god, that would nicely go under "denying divine(Lavoid) paternity."  The more tenuous connection is to Serge himself, and his role as Arbiter of the Flame.  Serge was "excommunicated" from his world, and later his body, for his association with the schism between Home and Another worlds.  Also, Acacius' heresy was resolved with orthodoxy winning out, and Christ being declared both divine and human.  The Time Devourer is both Lavos and human, being part Schala and all.

Hopefully someone who knows a bit more about dark ages Christianity can clean this up into something concrete.  And if I'm completely wrong, that's good to know as well.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Acacia Dragoons...heretics?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 09:50:45 am »
This is interesting... I don't know if these parallels were really intended though. Remember, the name Acacia was created for Radical Dreamers, not Chrono Cross. Here's what the former game said about the name's meaning:

A beautifully decorated gold ring sits in the palm of her hand! It's adorned with a slender set of leaves, like those of a fern, decorated with five small rubies around it.
"The Acacian coat of arms," Magil says.

Apparently it was just a reference to the Acacia tree. Now, perhaps Kato chose to add thematical parallels with the Acacian heresy stuff in Chrono Cross... Plus, the symbol of the organization became a Dragon instead of the tree. I don't know enough about the Acacian heresy to judge though.