Author Topic: Actor, Animation, and Static Checker Release  (Read 2449 times)

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
Actor, Animation, and Static Checker Release
« on: June 08, 2007, 09:24:39 am »
This archive contains two Flux files.  The release file is Actor, Animation, and Static Checker.Flux.  It allows one to view each of these things without modifying events for every little change.  Grab it here.

This is a technology demo of self-modifying code (SMC).  Assignment commands are capable of pointing into their own memory space and changing values.  But be warned before you start trying to use SMC that its a pain to maintain.  Every time you add, remove, or change a command, you'll need to check every SMC assignment and change its address.  This becomes particularly burdensome if you are using several of these assignments, such as in this Flux file.

To use this Flux, import it to its default slot, which will attach it to Location 067.  To attach it to a different location, you'll need to modify the ChangeLocation commands.  Provided that you change nothing other than this, the SMC assignments should still work fine.  Talk to Gaspar for instructions.

The other Flux file included is a slightly older version that is not as complete, but also does not use ChangeLocation.  NPCs are loaded in real time, though this does create some minor issues we have not yet solved.  This demonstrates some of the research that was done to achieve the real time loads.  Without setting the proper values in memory, Chrono Trigger will typically crash after just a few NPC loads.

---T.Geiger

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Actor, Animation, and Static Checker Release
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:06:45 pm »
Just checked it out, though I moved the location since I couldn't get Crono to appear on 67 (he was probably off-screen, but in that case solidity blocked him from moving). As one application, we can use this to generate listings of animations for every NPC or monster.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:25:06 am »
Just checked it out, though I moved the location since I couldn't get Crono to appear on 67

It is designed for an empty map like Location 067.  I use the following codes to send Crono to the location, exiting his front door.  There is no reason why a regular exit could not be created to do the same though; just send him to coordinates (0C, 0C).

E5041402
E5041367
E504150C
E504160C

---T.Geiger

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:57:16 pm »
I thought I'd revive this, it's definitely key to making a good hack.  For those of you who aren't super TF savvy I made an IPS that'll take you directly to the correct room. 

If you don't want to use the patch then change location 00's change location events form 10F to 067 XY {0,0}

It'd be really nice to get all these animations in Wiki Form.

--JP

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sealed

• Iokan (+1)
  • WORSHIP ME!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »
Problem: I tried importing it, but I get an error message saying, "Error -Flux file is not in a known format".

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 11:27:31 pm »
You tried importing the flux file (or the ips).  The IPS has to be patched to the CT unheadered ROM (I use Lunar IPS, though there's another popular one with ninja in the name, can't quite remember it).

--JP

Sealed

• Iokan (+1)
  • WORSHIP ME!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 01:31:35 am »
No, they're both .Flux files. I tried importing both of them, and they both give me the durn error message.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:33:24 am by Sealed »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:44:26 am »
What version of Temporal Flux are you using?

Sealed

• Iokan (+1)
  • WORSHIP ME!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 01:58:43 am »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 11:50:34 am »
hm......are you able to create your own flux files and import them?

--JP

Sealed

• Iokan (+1)
  • WORSHIP ME!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:18 pm »
Yeah, everything else works fine, it's just this file.

EDIT: I tried it again just now and it worked. Guess TF just felt like being a jerk yesterday or something.